Spanish Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The public parking area at RED ROCKs (Boca Grande) charges $2 per day.

My buddy and I are thinking about diving spanish rocks next week...(never been there).....wind forecast is west wind at 7 miles an hour all next week....anyone been there under these conditions....is it worth the drive (about 1 1/2 hour drive).....And being as it seems to be the only shore dive around, Are there alot of people there on a weekday?

It's not too busy on weekends. The vis would be better if the wind was out of the east but it should be good. If it has been calm for a couple of days the vis should be ok.

the forecast says possible thunder storms saturday......but the winds are still only supposed to be 7 miles an hour

If the chances are 20% or less I would go. I don't know where you are coming from but it is a good dive. If you are wanting to do a couple of dives are is another couple of shore dives just down the road from there so you can hit a couple of spots in the same day to mak it worth the trip. There is also a dive shop down the road for air fills.

Were coming from Tarpon springs....About 15 miles north of Clearwater beach.....Map quest says it's about a 90 minute drive.......I'd be exited to hear of any shore dives worth while.....Boat dives are necessary at times but there has to be some spots that you can Dive "on a whim".......For cheap!!!!! Nothing is cheaper than pulling your truck up, gearing up and jumping in......we tried a couple spots up here....Just pathetic....LOL

Bradenton has the Spanish Rocks, Regina and The 3rd Pier. You know where the rocks are so when you are down there go south about 2 miles to Sea Trek Divers and they can give you all the details on the other 2 spots. One of them (Regina/Sugar Barge) is directly across the street from Sea Trek. The Sugar Barge is not a great dive. There isn't much left to it but it is worth doing once. The other one is a little further south. There is also Venice Beach for sharks teeth. It is a pretty good dive as well. It is about 45 minutes south of Bradenton but its worth the drive to do once in a while.

Bradenton has the Spanish Rocks, Regina and The 3rd Pier.

Don't waste your time with third pier. I dove it two weeks ago. It is better suited to snorkeling than scuba since it is in only 8 fsw. Dispite what Ned Deloach's book says there are no hard or soft corals and no sponges, nor is there any other vegitation, just bare limestone and coquina rock. There were a fair # of fish, but mostly pinfish and sheepshead.

My buddy just bought a 42" inch spear gun......Are there any fish to be had at Spanish rocks??????

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom