Spanish Rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to dive Spanish rocks this Fri 5/9. Anyone interested in joining me?
Terry

Tomorrow isn't good for me because of work. I will be diving Sunday and Monday as well. Back to the rocks one of the days with the wife and the Hudson Grotto the other. If anyone is interested any of those days we would love the company.

Ahhhh.....Hudson Grotto, thats a neat dive. We are diving Spanish Rocks on Sat if you are intrested.

What time are you diving Saturday? I am comming into town and would like to dive Spanish Rocks but it will be Saturday afternoon or Sunday a.m. :wink:

I may dive Spanish rocks either Saturday or Sunday. I'm considering diving Red Rocks the other day(viz permitting). Anyone interested?

I'm interested in diving both but will be out of town this weekend (graduation stuff). When is the next time you'll be able to do this dive? I've done Spanish rocks, but not Red. What is the diff?

i'd be in to dive spanish rocks on saturday. if someone needs a dive buddy let me know.

Red Rocks:

Red Rocks is a small (~ 1 acre in size) shore diving/kayak diving reef ~ 100 yards offshore of the Boca Grande Range light. There is an abundance of marine life on the reef including spotfin butterfly fish, filefish, juvenile gag grouper, triggerfish, snapper & cuda. Water depth off the reef is about 17 feet, on top of the reef about 7 -10 feet. Vizibility can be variable and is best after a long period of easterly winds. On a good viz day, you can see the reef from the beach.

Directions: (from Tampa & areas north)
  • Take I-75 south to the North River Road exit. (It’s the one right after Jacaranda) Go south on North River Road.
  • Cross over 41 & the Road changes its name to South River Road, follow that until you come to Pine Street.
  • Turn left on Pine Street.
  • Follow Pine Street to 776
  • Cross over 776 & the street name will change to Placida Road.
  • Follow Placida for a while until you get to the Boca Grande Causeway. turn right
  • Follow the causeway to the toll booth ($4), after you get through the toll booth; just follow the road all the way to the 4 way stop sign (5th St. W.).
  • Turn right at the stop sign & then left at the flag pole (Gulf Bvld.).
  • Follow the road to the next stop sign (Gulf Bvld. & Sea Breeze Ct.).
Ahead of you will be a white, tower lighthouse (Boca Grande Range Light - 26 44’27.6”N, 82 15’46.8”W). That is the Sandspur Tower. Parking lot is located on your right, just north of that tower($2 to park all day). (Remember, you're heading south, if you pass the tower, you went too far.)

Amenites:

The parking area/beach access has a paved parking area, showers, restrooms and covered picnic tables. It is about100 yards from the parking area to the water. If you kayak dive a cart with beach tires is a must.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom