spanish rocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K Mejean

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well there has been enough talk about them to make me want to go ( it doesn't take much) :wink: I think I might try to find the Spanish Rocks tomorrow 4/14 for a shore dive. Probably hit it around eight or so. If anyone has any interest in doing them I can always use a dive buddy. Shoot me a message and let me know. I will check throughout the night until late. :D :D :D

I have heard about spanish rocks and would like to give it a try , but it is my once a month saturday to work !!!! Maybe someother time , I really need to get back in the water ! Let us know how it is .

All right here is the report on the Spanish Rocks. A great dive. I enjoyed it more than any of the other shore dives in Bradenton. I got in at 8 was out by 9. Vis was a little crappy. It was 10 to 15. There was a lot of crap floating in the water but the current was also pretty strong. Temp was 69 and max depth was 22'. There was quite a bit of life on the reef. I saw several sheephead and a box fish as well as some yellow tails. The highliight of the dive was my short yet kick *** swim with a large sea turtle. He was easily 3 1/2 feet long. All in all a dive worth doing more than once. I will most definately be going again. ( next time I will take a camara )

Sounds like a fun dive. Thanks for the report. How long did it take you to get to the reef area? And how was parking?

Awesome! I've never seen a turtle out there before. I'd loved to have gone but I'm stuck at work today as well :(

I was one of three cars. The parking is a sand lot right there by the dive site. Easy entry. The sea turtle was really killer. I'm not overstating it when I say his head was the size of a football. It was a great experience. The swim to the reef was about ten minutes if that. I started on the surface and when I got to about 15' I dropped down. It would have been a lot easier of a swim had the current not been so bad but it was well worth the effort. The next time any of you guys want to go do this dive just post it. I will be more than happy to be your dive buddy if you need one. We might even be able to do a carpool thing. :wink:

git-r-dun diver:
I was one of three cars. The parking is a sand lot right there by the dive site. Easy entry. The sea turtle was really killer. I'm not overstating it when I say his head was the size of a football. It was a great experience. The swim to the reef was about ten minutes if that. I started on the surface and when I got to about 15' I dropped down. It would have been a lot easier of a swim had the current not been so bad but it was well worth the effort. The next time any of you guys want to go do this dive just post it. I will be more than happy to be your dive buddy if you need one. We might even be able to do a carpool thing. :wink:

That's awesome about the turtle! They're too cool. I'm definitely up for this dive one day soon. Now if I could just get my camera housing in time for it.

Oceandvr:
That's awesome about the turtle! They're too cool. I'm definitely up for this dive one day soon. Now if I could just get my camera housing in time for it.

Like I said. Anytime you want. I will try to get it worked in my schedule. I will buy a disposable underwater camera for next time. Unless I can manage to buy a digital camera first. :D

git-r-dun diver:

I've been working up in Bradenton a couple days a week for the past few weeks. I wouldn't mind doing a dive after work one day. How are the conditions in the afternoon, generally? Is it a better dive earlier in the morning? If it is, I might be able to work it into my schedule earlier in the day.

I wish I could tell you. It was my first time there. If I lived closer I would do it after work. It was easy enough to get in and out. You should definately give it a shot while you are working up that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom