spacing between tank bands/tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
havent gotten my problem solved, the bands are perfect fit a;sp recpmfigured them with my buds many times in the shop. actually looks like one of the is the problem. one tank is straight but the other one isnt. i also checked the spaces between the valves and manifolds. one of em was off so had to rotate one of the tanks to get em even. dint help. tnaks are upright perfectly and are balanced. darn that gap!

You gotta re-type that. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Stephen Ash:
You gotta re-type that. I have no idea what you're trying to say.

did the steps many times. the manifolds each engaged the valves at exactly the same time and as the manifold got tighter into the valves, the lower part of the TANK (right tank ) would get closer to the left tank. the left tank did not move at all. so the tanks were already misaligned towards the bottom. as i tightened up the bands, the right tank got even closer to the other tank.

two fingers fit perfectly with just a millimeter or so to spare on the top parts of the tanks while at the bottom i could fit the same two fingers but very very tightly. i reckon the bottom part is narrower by 1cm. according to the guy in the shop the problem may be with the bands but hes had several sets just like this and their is no stress on the manifolds as the bands seems to be bearing the brunt.

Spoon:
according to the guy in the shop the problem may be with the bands but hes had several sets just like this and their is no stress on the manifolds as the bands seems to be bearing the brunt.

Hmm... I don't like it.

Take a look at the two links that I provided. They are the best descriptions of how to do this that I know. Then give it another go. If it is still off, then I would get another set of bands. I don't know that that is where the problem lies, but without being there it's hard to say.

I think that I might try banding them together without the manifold. If they pull up parallel, then they might be O.K.

Definitely remove anything that you might have put under the bands.

Even better... call or email Highland. They are very responsive and helpful.

I sure wouldn't just leave it like you have described.

Also, you might want to post this over on TDS. There are some pretty smart dudes over there. Maybe one of 'em has run into this before.

Stephen Ash:
Hmm... I don't like it.

Take a look at the two links that I provided. They are the best descriptions of how to do this that I know. Then give it another go. If it is still off, then I would get another set of bands. I don't know that that is where the problem lies, but without being there it's hard to say.

I think that I might try banding them together without the manifold. If they pull up parallel, then they might be O.K.

Definitely remove anything that you might have put under the bands.

Even better... call or email Highland. They are very responsive and helpful.

I sure wouldn't just leave it like you have described.

Also, you might want to post this over on TDS. There are some pretty smart dudes over there. Maybe one of 'em has run into this before.

me and the guy worked all afternoon to rectify the situation. manifolds are fine wll i think they are. il figure em over the weekend when i empty my tanks. im so icthing to fix the problem. will have updates soon. thanks stephen!

i have dismantled my tanks yesterday. i am still unable to get the bottoms lined up. i checked the bands and they are exactly the same size as the other bands in the shop. these bands are already installed on tanks and they all line up nicely.

il bring them to the shop tom. im suspecting the bands are the culprits though as i get them perfectly lined up when prior to the placing of the bands on the tanks. once i tighten up the bands, the bottom tanks move closer to each other while the top part remains the same.

Spoon:
once i tighten up the bands, the bottom tanks move closer to each other while the top part remains the same.

I wonder if you are screwing the manifold in too far. You should have some threads exposed when you're done.

First get your manifold close to the right spot, then snug down the top bad... not too tight. Use a feeler gage to check the top and bottom of the band to make sure that it is on even all the way around the cylinders. If not, make adjustments by tapping it with a piece of wood. Then place your bottom band in position but don't tighten it down. Then rotate the manifold in and out. You will see that the tanks pivot on the top band. As the manifold tightens the space between the tanks at the bottom will increase. Adjust the manifold so that the tanks are pretty close to parallel before you tighten the bottom band. Use your plate to position the bottom band and use the feeler gage like you did with the top band. Then go back and tighten the top band. Again, when you're done the manifold should freely rotate a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn.

Upon reviewing Jim Cobbs notes on this I see where he says that you might not have to worry if the tanks aren't perfectly parallel, given that the manifolds are designed to "have a certain amount of give". I'd still try to get it as close as possible.

Let us know how it goes.

Stephen Ash:
Upon reviewing Jim Cobbs notes on this I see where he says that you might not have to worry if the tanks aren't perfectly parallel, given that the manifolds are designed to "have a certain amount of give". I'd still try to get it as close as possible.

Let us know how it goes.

thanks for the help stephen. im curious though how much of misalignment is acceptable. if mine is acceptable i wouldnt bother. il be taking it to the shop soon for one last try, if all fails then il just suck up the misalignment issue and hopen for the best

finally solved the problem. i inspected everything at home and made some adjustments:

1.) upon further inspection i found out that the left tank manifold was not as engaged as the right. the space on the left was bigger so i independently rotated this tank ONE full revolution to get them exact. Voilla aligned.

2.) i then aligned tanks as best as i could and placed the bands tightening the bottom before doing the top. all in all they are much better than before although their is still a very, very minute difference at the bottom but i guess this is the tolerance jim cobbs mentioned.

anyway thanks stephen for taking the time to help me out. your instructions really helped! props to you bro.

Back
Top Bottom