spacing between tank bands/tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
Did you put anything under the bands?
Did you put them together with them flat on a table alternating turns of the cross bar

i put some rubber inner tubing on the tanks, about as wide as the bands to prevent the metals from touching each other. i also installed them while the tanks were upright.

Stephen Ash:
Good deal!

So... have you had a chance to look at the problem again. What's up?

im actually going to try solve the problem in a bit. i will try loosening the bands a bit and see if i can get em straightened out by tightening the manifold more. i tighten it enough, i reckon i still have one or two more full revolutions to spare that should straighten out the tanks. il be back in a bit.

Spoon:
i put some rubber inner tubing on the tanks, about as wide as the bands to prevent the metals from touching each other. i also installed them while the tanks were upright.

We're out of synch... :D

If things still look off, then I would say re-assemble it. But this time do it with 'em flat on a table. Mark described it pretty well. I looked for a couple of web pages that showed exactly how to do this but the links are dead. One was on the Diverite site and the other was cisatlantic. Maybe someone knows where they went.

I know people have different thoughts on this... but... I would suggest that you loose the rubber. I have done it both ways and it seems to me that the corrosion that takes place is so superficial that it would take many, many years for it to cause a hydro/vis inspection failure. IMHO, it just isn't worth the worry or the risk of a bad double-up.

But I do remember what it's like getting one's first set... ya kinda want to baby 'em... they look so good and all.

If you can't resist the urge to put something under the bands, then I would suggest that you use something besides rubber. I've found two things that work really well. the first is the plastic... or whatever material... of a bleach jug. (Get the biggest diameter bottle that you can find.) It is pretty thin, won't degrade like the rubber, and is easy to work with.

The second thing is even better but it might be a little hard to find. I'm talking about the tint liner that some stores put on their windows. It is even thinner than the plastic of a bleach bottle and it has one side that is sticky. It works great. You just put the sticky side against the inside of the bands. This makes getting everything in the right place much easier because the protective layer moves with the bands as they are tweaked into just the right place. If you can't find any of this stuff, I've got plenty and I'll send you some if you want. The dark color is nice, too.

What ever material you use, remember to cut it so that it will extend past the width of the bands about a 1/4" or so on each side or you'll still get corrosion.

I have some pics of how to do this if you would like to see them.

Still, my best advice is to not put anything under the bands. Don't worry... soon you will forget about it. The first time that you have to take 'em down for a vis you'll probably think, "yuk". But then you'll slap the bands back on and soon forget about it.

One more thing... no matter what you put under there, you're still gonna get some dissimilar metal reaction. There's no getting around it.

Here are the pics.

The first shows the two materials. The white stuff was cut from the wall of a Clorox bottle. The other stuff is the tint material. This is a little thicker than what they use on car windows.

The second and third pics show the tint material stuck on the inside of the bands. Note that the tint material is cut a little bit wider than the bands.

The fourth pic shows the white Clorox bottle plastic under the bands on a set of Al80's.

taking em to the shop now, i could have gotten the wrong bands, justtried tightening the manifolds to try to get the top part of the tanks to line up together but the gap at the bottom of the tanks actually tightened up and made things worse.

Those are the exact sites that I refer for the double set up. I doubled up two sets and it is just piece of cake... Just time consuming...

It is an interesting idea to use a tint film. I think the film can be purchased any glass shop. Many constructors used to install the tint film.

However, It isn't too thin for the band? I used the rubber bands from the www.reefscuba.com though.

havent gotten my problem solved, the bands are perfect fit a;sp recpmfigured them with my buds many times in the shop. actually looks like one of the is the problem. one tank is straight but the other one isnt. i also checked the spaces between the valves and manifolds. one of em was off so had to rotate one of the tanks to get em even. dint help. tnaks are upright perfectly and are balanced. darn that gap!

Back
Top Bottom