spacing between tank bands/tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys just installed my manifolds and tank bands on my tanks. perfect fit my only concern is that the spacing at the lower part of the tanks is narrower than the top part. its not noticeable or anything but i saw it. their seems to be no stress on the manifolds and the tanks seem to be carrying the weight fine? this ok?

also when lifting them tanks is it ok if i carry the tanks from the base and tank bands leaving the manifolds hands free?

my first twins rig so excited to test!

Your cylinders should be parallel. If I understand what you are describing, then something ain't right.

What manifold did you get? Bands? Cylinders? Of course, these shouldn't matter, but it will help me get an idea of how you put things together.

Spoon:
also when lifting them tanks is it ok if i carry the tanks from the base and tank bands leaving the manifolds hands free?

I was taught to carry them from the base and shoulder.

Spoon:
guys just installed my manifolds and tank bands on my tanks. perfect fit my only concern is that the spacing at the lower part of the tanks is narrower than the top part. its not noticeable or anything but i saw it. their seems to be no stress on the manifolds and the tanks seem to be carrying the weight fine? this ok?

when they screwed the manifold together, they didn't square up the top and bottom of the cylinders as the bands were being put on. With the top nuts on the isolator bar loose, the isolator should fairly easily turn forward and back (toward and away from your head). If it doesn't, the manifold is in a bind.

I carry my tanks by grabbing around the base of the valves and doing a "pullup" toward my chin. I've seen many (especially women) that will squat and put one arm around the top right side of the cylinders and the other hand/arm under the bottom left side and stand up..... this is more technique and less raw arm strength... and a lesson that many of the guys could learn so that we have longevity in diving and forego unnecessary lifting injuries!! :D

Stephen Ash:
Your cylinders should be parallel. If I understand what you are describing, then something ain't right.

What manifold did you get? Bands? Cylinders? Of course, thses shouldn't matter, but it will help me get an idea of how you put things together.

luxfer alum 80's with halcyon 300 bar manifold and highland millworks bands

I would re-do 'em.

Did you put anything under the bands?
Did you put them together with them flat on a table alternating turns of the cross bar with gentle taps at the base of the cylinders?
Were you sure to not overtighten the bands... ie no dimpling?
After you tightened the bands down were you still able to roll the cross bar 180 degrees?

The sides of the cylinders should definitely be parellel. It's not unusual, however, for twins to not perfectly sit upright... without a little wobble, that is. Cylinders aren't EXACT duplicates. There is some variation. Still, the sides should be straight and when doubled up these sides should be parallel.

Spoon:

A few points here.

The tanks should be absolutely parallel.

The bands should be tight, but not so tight that the flat parts where the bolts are get deformed, but still pretty darn tight.

The crossbar or isolator on your manifold should be able to turn without too much effort before you tighten the nuts locking it into position. The isolator or crossbar should be as close to perfectly centered between the two valves as possible.

Assembling the entire system is much easier if you have a sturdy flat table where you can lay the tanks and slide them around. The process of tightening everything is a lot of... Tighten the upper bolt a little. Then tighten the lower bolt a little. Then check the mainfold and adjust a little. Then go back to the bolts. Then back to the manifold. To really get it right takes some time, and you need to be very willing to take it all apart and start over if things don't look just right.

When you are finished the tanks should be parallel, the isolator needs to be free to move before you tighten it into position with the nuts, the isolator valve should be tilted a bit toward the back of your head to make the valve a little easier to reach.

At least in the United States the standard center distance for the bolts is 11 inches, and precisely 11 inches. Many backplates now have a short slot for the bottom bolt, some plates do not. Even if you have a slot you should try to get the standard spacing because you might in the future use a different plate for one or two dives, and it would suck to need to re-adjust the spacing.

Speaking of adjusting the doubles, be extremely cautious if you try to adjust the tanks when pressurized. Never loosen both bands on pressurized tanks, doing so invites damage or failure of the manifold. If you get it right the first time you should not need to adjust them, but heck we live in the real world, so be really careful.

For carrying the tanks try pointing the bolts away from you with the cylinders standing upright. Now put your left hand on the outside of the left hand valve (not between the cylinders at all) and put your right hand between the cylinders at the base and with your palm toward the base of the right hand cylinder lift them up so the valves are more or less pointed toward your left bicep and the bottoms of the cylinders are pointed toward your right hip. The end result is that the cylinders are somewhat diagonal accross your abdomen. You can also carry them by putting your hands on the valves atop each cylinder, just be careful to never lift them by the center of the isolator. This is a very tempting place to carry the cylinders from but it may damage your manifold if it gets bent. Always be careful not to hurt your back when carrying doubles. If you need to carry them very far either get some wheels or attach them to your back plate and wear them.

Enjoy the doubles, but now you really need to keep an eye on your bottom time since air will not be a limiting factor.

Mark Vlahos

Spoon:
luxfer alum 80's with halcyon 300 bar manifold and highland millworks bands

If you have the correct Highland bands, it is VERY hard to set the doubles up incorrectly. I have a suspicion that you might have the wrong Highland bands. A flat table, correct bands, properly working manifold makes this a simple assembly. DO NOT DIVE THEM if the distance at the top and bottom is different. This will eventually lead to trouble in the manifold. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
Dive Sports Online
www.divesports.com
(800) 601-DIVE

Back
Top Bottom