SP reg dif

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kemo Racer once bubbled...
I was lookin at some regs from sp but can't realy tell what the major dif is between them. I do warm water divin so I don't need any of the fancy titanuim bullet proof regs. I was lookin at the mk25 http://www.scubapro.com/products/regulators/first_stages/mk25/mk25.asp and the mk16 http://www.scubapro.com/products/regulators/first_stages/mk16/mk16.asp

The MK25 is a balanced piston first stage while the MK16 is a balanced diaphragm first stage. The piston first stage compensates for ambient pressure by allowing water into a sealed chamber in the first stage while a diaphragm system is completely sealed (no contaminants are allowed into the system.) For warm water both work great however in cold water a piston first stage could potentially freeze up (although the new Mk25 is supposed to be antifreeze.) The piston first stage does have better flowrates however unless you are a machine you would probably not be able to notice a difference.

A balanced first stage does not become harder to breathe as the pressure drops.

I dive a MK25/S600 and love it to death...well I did until it was stolen.

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...

The MK25 is a balanced piston first stage while the MK16 is a balanced diaphragm first stage. The piston first stage compensates for ambient pressure by allowing water into a sealed chamber in the first stage while a diaphragm system is completely sealed (no contaminants are allowed into the system.) For warm water both work great however in cold water a piston first stage could potentially freeze up (although the new Mk25 is supposed to be antifreeze.) The piston first stage does have better flowrates however unless you are a machine you would probably not be able to notice a difference.

A balanced first stage does not become harder to breathe as the pressure drops.

I dive a MK25/S600 and love it to death...well I did until it was stolen.

DITTO! I, too, dive an MK25/S600, and still do love it (mine wasn't stolen ;-0 ).

Tom

Both the Mk16 and the Mk25 are great 1st stages. I currently dive two Mk25s but will eventually get two Mk16s for backups.

Any of the balanced 2nd stages are good primaries, I use the S600 and G250. For backups I use an R380 or a R190.

I have a Mk 25 D400 and a Mk 20 D400 (basically same reg, the Mk 25 just has provisions for an externally adjustable Intermediate pressure.)

I dive mine in cold water - down to 35 degrees and have not had any problem with freeze ups but I am experienced, I don't overbreathe the regulator and take care not to inhale and add air to the dry suit or wing at the same time. There have been many reports of problem with the MK 25 in very cold water.

The Mk 25 has the potential for very high flow rates and the thermal insulating kit is, in my opinion, a little marginal. My dive buddy today (an experienced instructor and dive shop owner) froze up on two dives at 100 and 140 ft. in about 45 degree water with his new MK 25 S600. He is not pleased and will be talking to the Scubapro rep this week. Personally, I got to practice shooting lift bags and ascent lines so it wasn't all bad.

In my opinion, there is something wrong with his particular reg and I suspect that the assmbler forgot to cover the spring and piston with Christo-lube which helps prevent ice formation. I would not hesitate to buy a Mk 25 as it is reliable and aside from some potential cold water issues it is basically bullet proof. The only reg I can think of that would be better is a Mk 10, and they don't make them anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom