Southwest Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dressel Divers is the on-site operator. I dove with them on my first of 7 trips to Coz. I don't like them because they go out on large cattle boats (25+ divers), they have a strict dive schedule so if its Tues., they only go to these reefs, and if the buddy they pair you up with runs low on air, you have to surface regardless of how much air you have left. Most off-site dive operators will pick you up at the dock but some refuse to pay the dock usage fee that Iberostar has started to enforce. If Iberostar drops their fee, I highly recommend Scuba with Alyson. I call it concierge diving. You get input on where you want to dive, you dive your own air and go up when you reach 700 lbs and if you dive with her multiple days, she takes your equipment home at night and cleans it. The next day it is attached to your tank waiting for you.

I cant tell you how happy we are with the Iberostar/Dressel experience. We have always dove with Dressel the last 7 times in Coz. Jake and his team run a very well organised dive op. The dives are booked in advance through their office in Spain (thanks Elysse) for a discount, and the sites for the day are posted so you kinda know where you are going the day before. We have seen some smaller boats pick up (I believe "Dive with Martin")at the Iberostar and we think maybe we should try someone else... but why fix it... if its not broken. My buddy likes the stability of the bigger boats and HER opinion matters most! PM us if you would like any further info.

I think my broad brush stroke I painted was 100% correct after reading all these posts.

If you like large cattle boats with strict dive times/locations/bottom times, then by all means use Dressel.

If you want the freedom to dive when and where you like on smaller 6-8 passenger boats with local all local staff, use someone else.

One item that might be of importance is that by the use of rotating crews of non-Mexican dive guides, none of them are really able to know where to find things, point out the neat stuff, and have long term local knowledge. On the "its ok" side, many people don't know what they are missing and there are not too many really bad dives in Cozumel.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dressel Divers is the on-site operator. I dove with them on my first of 7 trips to Coz. I don't like them because they go out on large cattle boats (25+ divers), they have a strict dive schedule so if its Tues., they only go to these reefs, and if the buddy they pair you up with runs low on air, you have to surface regardless of how much air you have left. Most off-site dive operators will pick you up at the dock but some refuse to pay the dock usage fee that Iberostar has started to enforce. If Iberostar drops their fee, I highly recommend Scuba with Alyson. I call it concierge diving. You get input on where you want to dive, you dive your own air and go up when you reach 700 lbs and if you dive with her multiple days, she takes your equipment home at night and cleans it. The next day it is attached to your tank waiting for you.
They pair you up with a buddy? Hell no!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom