Southwest Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove with Dressel Divers in May. We like the bigger boats but wanted a shorter ride to the reefs so we decided to try the south side of the island. We especially enjoyed diving with Anna. She was great at finding neat critters for us and would let us dive to 60 minutes if we had enough air. The night dives were strictly 45 minutes with the two different divemasters we had (not Anna). The food was good. I think there is a charge for other dive operations to pick up at Iberostar's dock. The biggest drawback to Iberostar for us was a fee for internet access and it was only available in the lobby (not in the rooms). The food was quite good and they have interesting critters on the grounds (flamingoes, peacocks, iguanas, etc.).

I have stayed at Iberostar for the past 3 times in 3 years and I am going back next month. I have used Dressel Divers , the onsite operator, every time. I have also written couple of reviews in the past. I have been very happy with their service and very satisfied with their operation as a whole. I personally like the big boats because of being spacious and easier to set up my gear. I have dived with many of their DM’s in the past and just about every one of them was good in directing and pointing things underwater. I tend to keep my distance away from DM and those who normally just follow the DM so bigger groups have not been a problem with me. They have a pre-paid program that can make the dives really inexpensive. You just need to pay with your credit card to their main office in Spain. Go to their website for more info.
The hotel is nice as well, the rooms are bungalow style and comfortable. The food is good enough and the service is very nice. I will be there from July 8 through 15 and I recommend it.

I've stayed at the Iberostar 16 times now. If you have specific questions about the hotel, you can send me a PM and I will be glad to help you. As far as Dressel..I personally do not like "cattle boats", so I do not use them. I use Dive with Martin because they are the first boats on the reefs, have inexpensive dive packages, and great DM's. They do pick up at the pier.
The only bad things about the IB is the internet service. The manager told me they are currently in negotiations with 3 different net providers to get the it in all of the rooms. I just got an email two weeks ago to tell me they still don't have a contract...things apparently still go slow in Mexico. I'm going August 15-29..hope to see you !

The only bad things about the IB is the internet service. The manager told me they are currently in negotiations with 3 different net providers to get the it in all of the rooms. I just got an email two weeks ago to tell me they still don't have a contract...things apparently still go slow in Mexico. I'm going August 15-29..hope to see you !

Horse poop! The only internet providers on the island are Cablemas, Telmex, and the wireless guy Nemecio - can't think of his company name right now. But if they have internet on the property, then they can get it in the rest of the hotel - all they need are routers to provide wireless service to the guests. For example, Casa Mexicana installed several routers on each floor so that all guests can now have wi-fi in their rooms - they simply don't want to invest the money is my honest opinion - they are the last hotel on the island not to have this! Things don't go THAT slow here! And BTW, Telmex, out local phone company provides excellent service - I've had only a couple of issues in the 12 years I've had internet through them (that was from their end) and it's usually been fixed within 24 hours.

and the wireless guy Nemecio - can't think of his company name right now. .

Cozumel Wireless? And he is the sat TV guy, an air conditioner guy, now also a solar guy with Cool Cozumel. This guy does it all.

Ibero is probably working on how to get the most money out of a contract to sell wifi to the guests. Like extorting dive boats there for pickups.

Park Royal has no internet in the rooms and charges outrageous fees to use it lol, so I vote them the worst for internet on the island for hotels lol.

As for as the IB and Dressel - they are the ones who hire only European DM's correct? They do run big boats with strict bottom times, I could not remember earlier who they were, just that I never hear great things about them. No terrible things, but nothing fantastic either.....kind of a "meh" operation.

Pick an op who runs 6-8 pax boats and who will let you dive your air/computer. I can guarentee Dressel won't do 90+ minutes on Columbia Shallows, which my op did twice with us last year (89min and 93 min).

Park Royal has no internet in the rooms and charges outrageous fees to use it lol, so I vote them the worst for internet on the island for hotels lol.

As for as the IB and Dressel - they are the ones who hire only European DM's correct? They do run big boats with strict bottom times, I could not remember earlier who they were, just that I never hear great things about them. No terrible things, but nothing fantastic either.....kind of a "meh" operation.

Pick an op who runs 6-8 pax boats and who will let you dive your air/computer. I can guarentee Dressel won't do 90+ minutes on Columbia Shallows, which my op did twice with us last year (89min and 93 min).

Yes, they ONLY hire European/non-MX INSTRUCTORS. THey will not hire MX DM's or Instructors. The only MX employees you will see on their boats are the captains and mates. Instructors are forced to work as DM's and have a quota they have to meet in up selling courses. They work the poor Instructors to death and they are fired if not meeting sales quota. I know several people who have worked for them here and on the mainland and I get the same story from all of them. They don't get proper surface intervals either - that is another big complaint I've heard among Instructors there. It may be nice and convenient for the IB guests - but it is a miserable place to work from what I understand from several people.

Jake - the head Instructor there is from England - WONDERFUL guy - excellent Instructor! I know he works crazy, crazy long hours and deals with alot of stress since he is the one in charge of the dive staff.

Last time I dove with Dressel (I've refused to dive with them anywhere in the last 4 years) they were very clear that you can't go deeper than 100 feet with one of their DM's. They explain that their insurance dictates so, despite your certification and/or # of dives.
No getting out of sight of their DM's. And they check your computer upon return.
Just my personal experience. A few times. Till I stopped diving with them.
Love the Iberostar though. Except for the fact that they are franchised into Dressel.

Yes, they ONLY hire European/non-MX INSTRUCTORS. THey will not hire MX DM's or Instructors. The only MX employees you will see on their boats are the captains and mates. Instructors are forced to work as DM's and have a quota they have to meet in up selling courses. They work the poor Instructors to death and they are fired if not meeting sales quota. I know several people who have worked for them here and on the mainland and I get the same story from all of them. They don't get proper surface intervals either - that is another big complaint I've heard among Instructors there. It may be nice and convenient for the IB guests - but it is a miserable place to work from what I understand from several people.

Jake - the head Instructor there is from England - WONDERFUL guy - excellent Instructor! I know he works crazy, crazy long hours and deals with alot of stress since he is the one in charge of the dive staff.
I just came back from Cozumel, stayed at the Iberostar and I dove with Dressel and I couldn’t help but writing this post after what I read.
My experience with Dressel has been fantastic. Everything well organized, right on time and the staff was great. I didn’t get the impression they were “poor instructors working to death” and I haven’t heard any complaints from them.
I have to say that I chose Dressel after I had booked my room with Iberostar, but before I booked my dives, I also went to trip advisor and they have a lot of positive reviews (some bad also, but I guess like everywhere else), so I’m actually a bit shocked by the comments here. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they are the best in the world, but somehow I have the impression that you’re bringing them down on purpose.
The most clear example is that their Cenote guide (I cannot remember his name right now) is Mexican and he has been there for many years, one of the girls behind the desk when we went to Cenotes is Mexican also, I dove with an Argentinian DM named Tobias (not European) and Jay, the guy behind the desk, is Southafrican... so why do you post things that are not true? Unless you own or manage a dive center in Cozumel, like the link in your signature states….
Even the surface intervals comment, how is it possible they don’t respect surface intervals if I did the same dives as the instructors? And I tell you when I was there we respected surface intervals!
Again, my experience with them was very positive and I will come back with them without a doubt.
As for the Iberostar, I liked the resort quite a lot, it is true about the internet “issue”, but it also gives you the perfect excuse to “disconnect”! We’re supposed to be on holidays! The resort is very nice and quiet and it is what my wife and I were looking for. Just dive and relax! If I had to mention something, I would go for the food at the restaurant close to the swimming pool... Not the best.

I just came back from Cozumel, stayed at the Iberostar and I dove with Dressel and I couldn’t help but writing this post after what I read.
My experience with Dressel has been fantastic. Everything well organized, right on time and the staff was great. I didn’t get the impression they were “poor instructors working to death” and I haven’t heard any complaints from them.
I have to say that I chose Dressel after I had booked my room with Iberostar, but before I booked my dives, I also went to trip advisor and they have a lot of positive reviews (some bad also, but I guess like everywhere else), so I’m actually a bit shocked by the comments here. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they are the best in the world, but somehow I have the impression that you’re bringing them down on purpose.
The most clear example is that their Cenote guide (I cannot remember his name right now) is Mexican and he has been there for many years, one of the girls behind the desk when we went to Cenotes is Mexican also, I dove with an Argentinian DM named Tobias (not European) and Jay, the guy behind the desk, is Southafrican... so why do you post things that are not true? Unless you own or manage a dive center in Cozumel, like the link in your signature states….
Even the surface intervals comment, how is it possible they don’t respect surface intervals if I did the same dives as the instructors? And I tell you when I was there we respected surface intervals!
Again, my experience with them was very positive and I will come back with them without a doubt.
As for the Iberostar, I liked the resort quite a lot, it is true about the internet “issue”, but it also gives you the perfect excuse to “disconnect”! We’re supposed to be on holidays! The resort is very nice and quiet and it is what my wife and I were looking for. Just dive and relax! If I had to mention something, I would go for the food at the restaurant close to the swimming pool... Not the best.
p

Christi can certantly defend herself but if you read what she said she described the instructors to be European/ non-mx and the employees " on the boat" to be Mexican which with the exception of a Cenote guide (on the mainland?) it seems that it is true. You described people not on boats in supporting roles as local. South Arfican, Argentinian all "non mx" instructors!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom