Southwest Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
An acquiantance is planning a scuba vacation and they will be staying at the Iberostar. Is the house scuba charter a good choice, or would you recommend another charter that services that area. For that matter, IS there another charter that services the Iberostar pier?
I've dived in Coz several times, but I always dove out of the northern part of the island. I know very little about the southwest resorts. Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Most ops will pic up anywhere, especially south. Not sure who onsite op is....someone else will know though. I would def use someone else though....like a boutique full service op who runs small 6-8 passenger boats and who will give a much more personal service.

Like: Aldora, Living Underwater, Blue XTSea, Tres Pelicans, and many others.

Dressell Divers is their op. Im no Coz expert, but I believe they have a solid rep on the Island.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 10:25 PM ----------

Would love some info on Iberostar when you get back. Might be my next trip.

Most ops will pic up anywhere, especially south. Not sure who onsite op is....someone else will know though. I would def use someone else though....like a boutique full service op who runs small 6-8 passenger boats and who will give a much more personal service.

Like: Aldora, Living Underwater, Blue XTSea, Tres Pelicans, and many others.

Brules, that is a pretty broad paint brush you paint with, especially after you said "not sure who onsite op is..."

How do you know that they do not give personal service?

Dressel Divers is the in house OP at the Iberostar. From what I understand they offer diving on a schedule and limit the bottom time to 45 minutes to keep on schedule. The hotel is close to the most southern dive sites and SIs are usually spent at the hotel. Dressel has their fans. Other OPs pick up at this hotel but call to check. Iberostar chargers OPs to pickup at their pier and bill them monthly. Some have opted not to provide service at this hotel because of the fees.

Just swim out to the boat and climb up the ladder? :snorkel:

Ive used Blue Magic Scuba quite often...small fast boats and great dive masters.....Ive never stayed at the Iberostar though, so not sure if they pick up there

Cozumel Diving, Cozumel Scuba Diving, Blue Magic Scuba Dive Shop, Cozumel Diving Packages, Lessons

Crosshairs - just curious if you have dove with Blue Magic since Joyce walked away and Sandro left? I don't know anything about the new owners, who tey are or who is even working for them - in fact, I didn't know they were still in biz - I never really drive by their old shop location and don't see the boats out - so just curious!

Crosshairs - just curious if you have dove with Blue Magic since Joyce walked away and Sandro left? I don't know anything about the new owners, who tey are or who is even working for them - in fact, I didn't know they were still in biz - I never really drive by their old shop location and don't see the boats out - so just curious!

Christi,I spent the whole month of May diving with them....Yuval Tamari and his wife Elise are the current owners,and I think they have owned it for a few years, but I could be mistaken.

They have 3 boats and all of them are docked at Caleta.
They are not a very big op , and most days I only saw them with 2 boats out .

In the interest of full disclosure, I was doing my dive master training with Go pro Cozumel and that's how I ended up with them.......but my experience with them was very pleasant , also 2 weeks prior to the start my of training, my GF and I dove with them and they treated us very very well.....and this was before they knew that I would be training through their shop so I dont feel as if I got treated any different than any other client would have.

Christi,I spent the whole month of May diving with them....Yuval Tamari and his wife Elise are the current owners,and I think they have owned it for a few years, but I could be mistaken.

They have 3 boats and all of them are docked at Caleta.
They are not a very big op , and most days I only saw them with 2 boats out .

In the interest of full disclosure, I was doing my dive master training with Go pro Cozumel and that's how I ended up with them.......but my experience with them was very pleasant , also 2 weeks prior to the start my of training, my GF and I dove with them and they treated us very very well.....and this was before they knew that I would be training through their shop so I don't feel as if I got treated any different than any other client would have.

Thanks - haven't even heard their names. Joyce, an American owned it and Sandro was helping manage up until about a year to a year and a half ago until she walked away from it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom