Southern California Edison's new reef is open.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I never even heard anything about this in the newspaper or on the news.It looks like a great place.Thanks for sharing it here with us.I would like to dive it sometime.

Very interesting....I had not heard of this project. I'm glad companies like SCE are taking some interest in diving and preserving underwater life.

They mentioned it was about a mile away from where they were....I assume they were right on the coast, so the reef is about a mile out in the ocean. And that means it's not a shore dive....so which dive boat is going out there? Some day, I'd love to dive there!

Thanks for sharing this, Dave!

They cooling lines for the core reactors going underneath the ocean for a certain amount of distance, which therefore raised the water temp and essentially destroying the reef structure. I don't know if this is even diveable, this reef is right in front of the San Onofre reactor.

Edison Reef

They cooling lines for the core reactors going underneath the ocean for a certain amount of distance, which therefore raised the water temp and essentially destroying the reef structure. I don't know if this is even diveable, this reef is right in front of the San Onofre reactor.

Edison Reef

The new expermental reef is North of the reactor, off the San Clemente shore. Between San Mateo Rocks and Trestles Beach

The new expermental reef is North of the reactor, off the San Clemente shore. Between San Mateo Rocks and Trestles Beach

Good to know. I'd try it out if it's feasible.

SCE has been working on this for many years. Personally, I'm sure I'd like the old reef better... but I also like having electricity. It will be interesting to see what resul;ts the on-going monitoring will yield.

yep. dr. bill, this one has been a long time in the making. As I recall, wasn't the problem that needed to be mitigated not thermal pollution, but the scrubbing of the reef caused by water flow intake and discharge, a cause that had been unanticipated in the design? Seems I recall some discussion of this when I was hanging around with the marine bio types in the late 80s and early 90s in Santa Barbara.

According to their webpage, their outflow destroyed an existing kelp forest by warming and clouding up the water. This new reef/kelp forest is designed to mitigate that loss and add additional reef area.

Sure, but none of you have said WHEN you want to dive it!

Anyone got a boat?
(Or like long surface swims?)

PM me if you are planning anything...

Back
Top Bottom