South Maui Shore Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwimsWithSharks

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I know that conditions can change in a couple of weeks but was wondering about recommendations for some easy shore diving in the Kihei area at this time of year. The ideal spot will have the following attributes:

1. Easy access to water.
2. Relatively easy water entry (one diver has had two joint replacement surgeries so easy in and out is helpful).
3. Decent snorkeling (two non-divers in the group so hoping to be able have them snorkel while the divers dive).
4. Decent surface interval area.

I've been to the area quite a bit but never at this time of year so I am wondering what might be our best choices. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Ulua is an excellent spot for both divers and snorklers. The inner reef has lots of areas that are only 5' deep or so on the reef top -- nice for snorklers that want to stay on the surface.

Entry/exit is generally very easy walk in via a sandy beach. The gear dropoff point is maybe 200' from the beach and about 20' above it. There is a reasonably easy sidewalk ramp to get down to the beach.

SI area is either the beach or some small grassy areas near the dropoff point. Or you walk 5 minutes and have lunch at a nearby hotel.

It's a very popular spot and it's biggest drawback is parking. The parking lots often are full by 10AM. The various local maps should have Ulua marked on it, or you can pick up a free brochure from any of the Maui Dive Shops that good directions to many dive and snorkel spots around the island.

The other option if we get a nasty wrap-around Northwest Swell is Olawalu (Mile Marker 14) between Maalea and Lahaina.

Very sheltered, but faces directly south, so if it's a south swell, that ain't gonna work. :)

There is easy access to water, and the entry is easy as long as you look for the sand channel before entry.

There is a beach area, so a nice spot for the SI, and good snorkelling, just make sure they know not to get themselves too shallow -- it's not good to have people stand on the coral.

I'd second Ulua Beach. I've both snorkeled and dived there. Entry and exit are easy, navigation is simple, and the site teems with life.

Wailea Beach might also work for you. Short walk to the water on a path and a sandy beach entry. Drive up by the bathrooms and drop your gear then go park.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/Wailea/index.htm

It's not particularly deep maybe 40-50' but there's some interesting lava formations & overhangs out by the point. I've seen big puffers, a school of pipefish, 2 turtles and lagoon triggerfish out there. Plus hundreds of tangs and other fish. There were snorkelers on top of us when we dove there.

It's near Ulua Beach. Same issue with the parking too. There's a diveshack for the Grand Wailea resort 200' to the north for gear/tank rentals also. They told us there's a small wreck out there somewhere, but we never found it.

For a SI walk over to the resort, they have a pretty good poolside restaurant.

Wailea Point (south end of Wailea Beach) has some great diving... I've gone diving there and spent 100+ minutes in water shallower than 25'. You have to go a ways out to find water deeper.

The south end of Ulua is great, too... it wraps around to the north end of Wailea Beach, but somehow about half of the way from Ulua to Wailea, the beautiful living coral was replaced with algae covered rock and detritus.

There is a wreck called the St. Anthony nearby, but that's more of the north end of Ulua / south end of Keawakapu. I'm not aware of any other wrecks until you get down near Makena Landing and Ahihi.

The Wailea's dive shack is now tucked in pretty far -- it's near the scuba pool. Bring cash (and exact change).

Considering the most recent major costal developement is between the Grand Wailea and Marriott resorts, it is no suprise the reef north of Wailea Beach (Three Sisters?) is not as healthy as the others in Wailea.

The beach directly ashore from the St. Anthony is Mokapu, between Keawakapu and Ulua.

Makena Landing in the morning might be another good option.

As far as easy access goes you've been given the top two, both Ulua and mile marker 14 works.

My tan is gone, my attitude is back and I'm freezing to death.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom