Sounds like the SCUBA Board to me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I be the one newbie that post months after the thread has died out, and starting it all over again?

Bob

"Not another incandescent bulb"

Of course I mean the Natioanl Association of Incandescent Bulb-Changers. You mentioned PALI and LBSCI but let's not forget there are other certification agencies out there who are just as good and just as recognized. In fact people I have spoken with greatly respect the depth of training offered by their local NAIB instructors.

IMLBCO (In my light bulb changing opinion) It's not the lightbulb changing certification agency that ensures fun and safe lightbulb changing experiences - it's the lightbulb changing instructors that make the difference and the individuals themselves that may or may not reflect their good or bad light bulb changing teachers.

:twogun:

My LBS tells me that they offer super advanced lightbulb changing courses for extremely high voltage and overloaded situations. But I am not sure if I need to take one. They tell me that people who change light bulbs in good visibility wearing only a thin layer of thermal protection and who are dealing with low voltage aren't subjecting themselves to enough challenge. They say that we all should have some light bulb changing lessons in poor visibility environments, wearing bulky protective gear before being accepted into the real world of light bulb changers.

IMLBCO - that's BS!

My LBS tells me that they offer super advanced lightbulb changing courses for extremely high voltage and overloaded situations.

Hrm. Have you checked to make sure that the instructors at your LBS are actually actively practicing what they teach and have enough experience in this environment or did they just run out and get their instructor's credentials so that they could make a few bucks teaching "technical" bulb changing?

You may want to check into the LDIR-F class that was mentioned earlier in this thread - it'll make you rethink your lightbulb changing methods. For instance, you need to know if an aluminum or wooden ladder should be used for a particular changing and the differences in balancing properly while on those different types of ladders. You should always maintain a perfectly vertical posture lest you lose trim and fall, causing untold habitat damage and possibly causing you to fall victim to BBSF (Broken Bones from Short Falls) a potentially dangerous illness.

It seems the post referring to LEDs has gone unnoticed and I find that completely unacceptable. As everyone knows, modern LED lights are controlled by microchip technology. As any LBDIR-F graduate knows, microchips are part of the computer age, and computers can fail. The human mind is infailable, there is no way a brain that is turned "on" can ever do wrong or make a mistake. The DIR way is the only way because they don't rely on fancy schmancy computers which can fail. Sure, LED lights can put out a steady and controlled beam of light for years, but they don't match up to the sparks produced by the bangin of two rocks inside the noggin.

LEDs are for overweight, out of shape, neon wearing strokes.

now hold the video camera and observe while i change this bulb.

damn i look good

I think the board is forgetting that differences in changers of bulbs means differences in bulbing trips. I, for one, care less for bulbing in high voltage, but I do like to bulb in ancient and lost wrecks or even fitted caves.

These differences should be accounted for, and accomodated with different courses for different bulbers.

Bulb is up!

Bob (The bulb).

and all your newfangled gagetry.....lightbulbs, light bulbs...whatever.... back in our days we had the old double wick candles and did just fine. Of course we trained for months on how to execute lighting, burn time and exiting the room should the candle burn out.....hell, we're still alive!

tony

I am planning a trip to the UK and thought I would try my hand at changing some bulbs over there. I was wondering if there was any training available for the lower voltage bulbs. Also, I need to study up on their fixtures. I talked to the folks ay my LBS but they are clueless.

:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom