Sotis vs. IANTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think anyone really believed that there was no link between Sotis and Nexus.

The Libyan sale is old news though. I'm kind of surprised it's taken the Feds this long to go after him.

I don't think anyone really believed that there was no link between Sotis and Nexus.

The Libyan sale is old news though. I'm kind of surprised it's taken the Feds this long to go after him.
Looks like they had it under investigation this entire time, either they have a seriously solid case and getting it all airtight took this time or they have gotten pressured to prosecute. I am gonna guess the first.

Looks like they had it under investigation this entire time, either they have a seriously solid case and getting it all airtight took this time or they have gotten pressured to prosecute. I am gonna guess the first.

Chris...

Somewhere in all the narrative...which is growing by the day...I may have missed it...but it seems to me that no-one has brought into question the potential low quality of rebreather training that everyone who has gone through the Add Helium turn-stiles may have received...

To ask the question after the fatalities occur is waiting too long...

If I was an Add Helium ''preferred training agency'' official...the question would certainly be rolling around in my mind...

Sub-standard quality of training is nothing new...in scuba...as well as all industries...sub-standard rebreather training ranks among the worst of the worst...

All to often we hear of sub-standard dive instruction...and not often enough do we hear of certified dive students who along with their instructors...should have their certifications revoked...

For any dive certification...rebreather or otherwise...the plastic card is only the key to open the door...practical application based on a firm foundation makes you qualified...if that foundation is lacking from the start...your practical application...based on a poor foundation...will never properly qualify you...

We all like to think we were trained by the best...as the international 2019 scuba related fatalities continue to soar...one has to wonder...''just how qualified are we''...

W.W...

Chris...

Somewhere in all the narrative...which is growing by the day...I may have missed it...but it seems to me that no-one has brought into question the potential low quality of rebreather training that everyone who has gone through the Add Helium turn-stiles may have received...

To ask the question after the fatalities occur is waiting too long...

If I was an Add Helium ''preferred training agency'' official...the question would certainly be rolling around in my mind...

Sub-standard quality of training is nothing new...in scuba...as well as all industries...sub-standard rebreather training ranks among the worst of the worst...

All to often we hear of sub-standard dive instruction...and not often enough do we hear of certified dive students who along with their instructors...should have their certifications revoked...

For any dive certification...rebreather or otherwise...the plastic card is only the key to open the door...practical application based on a firm foundation makes you qualified...if that foundation is lacking from the start...your practical application...based on a poor foundation...will never properly qualify you...

We all like to think we were trained by the best...as the international 2019 scuba related fatalities continue to soar...one has to wonder...''just how qualified are we''...

W.W...
I have seen quite a few social media posts and been personally told by former students of Sotis and Add Helium that express they now regret taking training from and that they now know how poor the training they got was. I know of 3 of his former students that have passed in the last couple years, I suspect if I actually went looking I could find more. He truly was prolific if nothing else.

I have no idea what the agency he taught for is doing at this stage, plus he also started his own agency as well.

My honest recommendation for anyone that was trained there is they seek out quality training by some of the truly good CCR instructors out there and cover everything. My observations from afar and of some of his former students is they really need to go over deco, gas and bailout management, cell and scrubber duration and dive planning.

We all like to think we were trained by the best...as the international 2019 scuba related fatalities continue to soar

Could you point me towards a source, as i am finding it quite difficult to find a number?

Bob

I have seen quite a few social media posts and been personally told by former students of Sotis and Add Helium that express they now regret taking training from and that they now know how poor the training they got was. I know of 3 of his former students that have passed in the last couple years, I suspect if I actually went looking I could find more. He truly was prolific if nothing else.

I have no idea what the agency he taught for is doing at this stage, plus he also started his own agency as well.

My honest recommendation for anyone that was trained there is they seek out quality training by some of the truly good CCR instructors out there and cover everything. My observations from afar and of some of his former students is they really need to go over deco, gas and bailout management, cell and scrubber duration and dive planning.

Chris...

Referencing your last paragraph...all of the protocols/fundamentals that may have been inadequately instructed...and may have been collectively...or individually responsible for costing Rob Stewart his life...and from what happened to Peter when he boarded the boat...his knowledge/practical application base and overall understanding was lacking as well...

All about money...

It would be interesting to know the percentage of AH rebreather students who are actively diving their units...versus the percentage who don't go near their rebreathers because they know themselves their training was sorely lacking and they are totally un-prepared to operate their units safely...

W.W...

Could you point me towards a source, as i am finding it quite difficult to find a number?

Bob

Hey Bob...

I've tried...DAN...is/was supposed to be an accurate source...but I can find nothing...reliable/accurate...

Dive accidents forum on SB...is a good start...as good as any...and the 2019 list...is a long list...too long...

W.W...

Ithey really need to go over deco, gas and bailout management, cell and scrubber duration and dive planning.

That's just old school group think. The new paradigm is TruDive. Just tell it what you've got and it tells you what to do!!!!! No thinking necessary, seriously, just don't think about it.....

That's just old school group think. The new paradigm is TruDive. Just tell it what you've got and it tells you what to do!!!!! No thinking necessary, seriously, just don't think about it.....

JC...

If they're not smart enough to have a secure web site...what does that tell you...and why would you want to stop thinking...

W.W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom