Sotis vs. IANTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sortis was having students or that Stewart in particular had removed his gag strap?
He didn't provide one when I took my class from him.

He didn't provide one when I took my class from him.
They are included on a stock Revo so he must be removing them. He is not the first revo instructor I've heard of doing this.

Both divers passed out and/or became incoherent after doing a 3rd bounce deco dive of the day to about 215ft. Sortis was on the deck of the boat and was revived. Stewart was still in the water at the time and drowned. The initiating cause of his loss of consciousness has not been determined. To date, the evidence (his shearwater log) strongly suggests it was not hypoxia. The rest of the story is noise and finger pointing.
Sure wish that summary could be pinned to the top of the many threads about this incident/case/goings on. It would solve a lot of confusion.. at least it would have solved my confusion.

The recovery video posted (somewhere here) showed the loop still in Stewart's mouth...

...is the above a fact, that is the mouthpiece was still in the mouth when the body was found?

There was a still image from the video captured by the ROV at the moment that Stewart's body was found. It shows Stewart laying on his back with his arms straight up and the loop was not in his mouth.

The video of the recovery after the recovery divers arrived at the scene shows the loop miraculously back in Stewart's mouth.

So, the loop was not in Stewart's mouth when his body was first filmed on the bottom.

There was a still image from the video captured by the ROV at the moment that Stewart's body was found. It shows Stewart laying on his back with his arms straight up and the loop was not in his mouth.

The video of the recovery after the recovery divers arrived at the scene shows the loop miraculously back in Stewart's mouth.

So, the loop was not in Stewart's mouth when his body was first filmed on the bottom.
I dont know how you can see that with the graininess of the video wookie posted

I dont know how you can see that with the graininess of the video wookie posted

The image I'm referring to is not from the video rendering that wookie posted. It was a fairly close-up image from long before that section of the ROV video.

Unfortunately, I did not download the image and it was later removed. There is some discussion still remaining of that image on FB between me and one of the lawyers.

Last night I got a text saying this case was thrown out of court. Not sure if that's true and I'm teaching this weekend, so haven't looked it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom