sorry for this post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H2Andy:
what exactly did these guys do wrong other than being the wrong color?
They were hunting on a cold day, and using an unfamiliar common name for a local fish. I'd have raised an eyebrow at anyone diving wet with air temps in the 30s, but unless there was a clear target nearby or they had unusual equipment (like a duffle bag or something that made me think "that's suspicious"), terrorism wouldn't have been on my mind.

I never susupected them of possibly intending to do something that day. I did think later that maybe it was possible that they were training for something. Getting used to the cold etc...Again, I freely admit it's an awful sign of the times when someone like me feels this way but having read this article it made me think about the people that should have said or done something when one of the 911 attackers only wanted to know how to fly the plane, not take off and land.

These guys are probably just normal guys with a passion for diving/spearfishing. Having read the repsonses I am not planning on doing anything but I do think it's fair of me to ask the question just in case anyone had strong opinions about this. I only asked it here because most of you are familiar with Cape Ann and are divers....

If you find something is suspicious, it is not your job to confirm the problem as some people are suggesting. Some people are bashing for even being suspicious; tough. You are not accusing anyone of anything, you are just noticing something out of the ordinary.

For anything like this, I suggest you report it.

Here is some info:

http://www.cgauxed.org/waterway/
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/mp/AWW_Website/

This site provides a phone number which is actually now going to be printed on a decal affixed to any new boat off the production line.

You're not hurting anything by looking out for everyone.

and smell the paranoia...wonderful, isn't it?

Two guys spearing are not an issue...if they were lugging limpet mines into a harbor or lashing blocks of C4 to bridge supports then you might want to give somebody a heads-up...

I'm thinking Al Quaeda might not send Arab guys next time....I mean, if they know everyone is going to be suspicious of brown skinned Arab looking guys...might they not recruit a couple of blue eyed blonds? Or some women? I don't know..just my 2 cents.

I don't find this activity to be particularly suspicious(I'm in law enforcement) given some of the factors mentioned above -- not near a vulnerable infrastructure, not using scuba, not overly nervous, etc. What I would find peculiar is taking photographs/video of buildings, bridges, factories or surveilling thru binoculars. Things tourists usually aren't interested in. As far as reporting suspicious activity, you can call any law enforcement agency from the locals to the feds. Also, in MA you can contact the JATTF(Joint Anti-Terrorism Task Force) in Boston.

You are not paranoid, just vigilant. We were NOT vigiliant or watchful before 9-11 and that was part of the problem.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
I don't find this activity to be particularly suspicious(I'm in law enforcement) given some of the factors mentioned above -- not near a vulnerable infrastructure, not using scuba, not overly nervous, etc. What I would find peculiar is taking photographs/video of buildings, bridges, factories or surveilling thru binoculars. Things tourists usually aren't interested in. As far as reporting suspicious activity, you can call any law enforcement agency from the locals to the feds. Also, in MA you can contact the JATTF(Joint Anti-Terrorism Task Force) in Boston.

You are not paranoid, just vigilant. We were NOT vigiliant or watchful before 9-11 and that was part of the problem.

LobstaMan

If you're not susipicious and you're in law enforcement that's good enough for me. I was very uncomfortable about even posting this because the incident was only mildly suspicious to me. We talked to them and they were nice guys enjoying a cold but clear day on the water. No harm no foul as they say. To anyone who took offense to this I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom