Sore jaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic9r1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had my confined water dive yesterday and today my jaw is really sore. Is that just because I'm not used to using a regulator, or could it be the size of the mouth piece? I have a really small mouth.

It's entirely possible that you are clenching your jaw too much while breathing off of the reg. This is very common with novice divers. With experience, you'll learn to relax your jaw more.

It's also possible that you could benefit from using a different reg mouthpiece. Make sure that the regulator mouthpiece actually fits your mouth. This can make a difference in minimizing jaw fatigue. Certain people like the customized-fit of a SeaCure mouthpiece. I prefer the Aqualung/Apeks ComfoBite mouthpiece. I know for a fact that the ComfoBite comes in a "junior" version for people with smaller mouths. Of course, there are a lot of other mouthpieces on the market. See what works best for you.

If you are still renting your regulator, that's OK. Ask your instructor to teach you how to swap out the rental mouthpiece for your own. The mouthpiece is usually held on by one ziptie. Make sure that the ziptie is anchored securely so that the mouthpiece doesn't pop off inadvertently. (Not good when you're trying to breathe off of it underwater.) I like using needle-nose pliers to help grip the end of the ziptie to tighten things up. Trim off the end of the ziptie when you're done. It should only take a minute to do.

BTW, don't forget to swap the rental mouthpiece back before you return the reg setup. :)

I had the same issues when I used some of the rental gear during open water dives. I feel that I may have been clenching my teeth as well. Maybe stressed related. I have my own reg and I did not have any jaw ache after my last few dives.

Yes, get a comfor-bite mouthpiece. It has a piece that sits on the roof of your mouth and works like a charm! I still use this mouthpiece today.

The main issue,though, I believe is clenching. When I did my open water cert I thought I was totally calm and relaxed but when I surfaced, I couldn't close my mouth and when I finally did, it snapped. I thought I had lock jaw or something! Silly!

SOooooooo...what I did was to constantly shake my regulator around in my mouth every few minutes to be sure I wasn't clenching my jaw. It made me constantly aware of it and made me relax. After that, no issues.

Best of luck!

Yep. For what it's worth and for me it's a lot, comfo bite $7.00 bridge lets reg just hang, rarely bite the nubs, no chunky sharp bits, soft and pliable like me.

Add my vote for the ComfiBite. It stays in without any effort at all, and eliminates the possibility of jaw fatigue due to clenching. I had the same problem, and the new mouthpiece eliminated it completely.

Also check your tank and regulator configuration. If the tank is too low on your back or the regulator hose is too short or routed wrong it will pull to the side and make you bite down harder to hold it in position.

Bob
------------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape

Had the same issue... especially on a new mouth piece. 15 dives later, it has resolved.

You should definately consider a SeaCure Custom Mouthpiece. SeaCure was invented by an orthodontist who has specialized in and written a book on jaw dysfunction. He knows diving and he knows how to prevent a sore jaw. And, SeaCure is totally customizable, for each person's unique teeth and jaw. There is even a video on the seacure1.com website that shows exactly how to best mold a mouthpiece. SeaCure is a little more expensive than some of the cheaper mouthpieces, but because it is made of such a sturdy material, and because it is remoldable if and when necessary, it will last you for years and years. And, another plus, it will just hang onto your teeth without clenching, no matter what is going on around you. Security and comfort!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom