Sore jaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should definately consider a SeaCure Custom Mouthpiece. SeaCure was invented by an orthodontist who has specialized in and written a book on jaw dysfunction. He knows diving and he knows how to prevent a sore jaw. And, SeaCure is totally customizable, for each person's unique teeth and jaw. There is even a video on the seacure1.com website that shows exactly how to best mold a mouthpiece. SeaCure is a little more expensive than some of the cheaper mouthpieces, but because it is made of such a sturdy material, and because it is remoldable if and when necessary, it will last you for years and years. And, another plus, it will just hang onto your teeth without clenching, no matter what is going on around you. Security and comfort!
Something to consider is that the reg mouthpiece might have to be used by someone else in an emergency situation. Is it possible that the fit is so customized that it would be difficult for someone else to use?

I realize that normally this wouldn't be an issue for someone who has a primary and octo (with donation of the octo to a buddy during an air share). In this case, it would make sense to put the SeaCure on the primary and some other generic mouthpiece on the octo. However, with air shares which may involve donation of a long-hose primary or buddy-breathing using one's primary reg, I wonder if the SeaCure will cause any fit problems for the person sharing air.

I bought the trident comfort bite because my jaw hurt after my first pool session. The instructor put it on a reg for me and I used it for the rest of the class. Highly recommended!

Most newbies clench their jaws because they're afraid that the regular would pop out. Just tell yourself to relax.

Now and again, I still find myself clenching my jaws and had to tell myself to relax.

I had the exact same problem but for the exact opposite reason. I'm 6'4" and my mouth is huge compared to most mouth pieces, so I found the biggest SeaCure custom I could and it's perfect.

I'm just realizing that BubbleTrouble's post is something to consider, though, I'll probable end up just having to stick with some secondary/octo system rather than a DIR necklace system because of it.

Something to consider is that the reg mouthpiece might have to be used by someone else in an emergency situation. Is it possible that the fit is so customized that it would be difficult for someone else to use?

I realize that normally this wouldn't be an issue for someone who has a primary and octo (with donation of the octo to a buddy during an air share). In this case, it would make sense to put the SeaCure on the primary and some other generic mouthpiece on the octo. However, with air shares which may involve donation of a long-hose primary or buddy-breathing using one's primary reg, I wonder if the SeaCure will cause any fit problems for the person sharing air.

I doubt that there is a mouthpiece that is so big that it wouldn't fit in a person's mouth. Nonetheless in an emergency, comfort is probably the last thing either diver would need to worry about. Will the donated 2nd stage deliver air? If yes, then that's all you need to know.

After all, you rig up your gears for you and not for somebody else.

I was told by a scuba pro rep 10 yrs ago that millions of dollars have been spent to get the best breathing regulators and then we put a mouth piece on the reg and waste all that technology.
I use a full face mask I get the most out of my reg and never any fatigue like all diving equipment you need to get use to it. I did not like it when I first started using it but I love it now. Air consumtpion is the same after i got used to it. I carry a octo and never had to use it guess its in the dive planing. Checking on your air is like your heart beating its should be a involentary reflex. your brain shouldnt turn off when your head goes underwater If you planed a dive to a depth and a NDL or Deco time with a min psi your dive will be sucesfull. if not brush up on your planning skills.

Thats just the way my dives go

I doubt that there is a mouthpiece that is so big that it wouldn't fit in a person's mouth. Nonetheless in an emergency, comfort is probably the last thing either diver would need to worry about. Will the donated 2nd stage deliver air? If yes, then that's all you need to know.

After all, you rig up your gears for you and not for somebody else.
@fnfalman: It might not as be as simple as you make it out to be. The length of certain reg mouthpieces can be so long that they cause certain users to gag. Eliciting the gag reflex would be a bad thing, particularly in an emergency. This might not be a comfort issue at all. That being said, if the mouthpiece were "just a little uncomfortable" for the air-share recipient (but entirely usable), then I agree that configuring one's reg for comfort should probably take precedence.

Have you ever practiced an air-share with a reg attached to a SeaCure mouthpiece fitted for someone else? I haven't. That's why I initially brought up the issue. For all I know, SeaCure might make the recommendation to trim down the ends of the mouthpiece a little more than necessary to address this issue in an air-share. :idk:

Last edited:
I had issues with my jaw locking up during my closed water dives. I found I could occasionally just let the mouth piece rest in my mouth without even biting down, essentially just holding it in place with my lips. That really relaxed me a lot and I stopped having jaw issues after that.

I am planning to get one of the custom fit mouth pieces for my reg though, when I get it back from servicing.

JoeyP

i have a seacure & have done tech & cave courses with it. nobody has ever complained about doing airshares.

now i need a few more or to try a comfobite, because i have a new sidemount setup & the mouthpieces are killing me! making me clench because they hit at my eyeteeth, rubbing hard on my gums - those puppies are history!

@fnfalman: It might not as be as simple as you make it out to be. The length of certain reg mouthpieces can be so long that they cause certain users to gag. Eliciting the gag reflex would be a bad thing, particularly in an emergency. This might not be a comfort issue at all. That being said, if the mouthpiece were "just a little uncomfortable" for the air-share recipient (but entirely usable), then I agree that configuring one's reg for comfort should probably take precedence.

Have you ever practiced an air-share with a reg attached to a SeaCure mouthpiece fitted for someone else? I haven't. That's why I initially brought up the issue. For all I know, SeaCure might make the recommendation to trim down the ends of the mouthpiece a little more than necessary to address this issue in an air-share. :idk:

If the mouthpiece is so large that it causes gag reflex then the out-of-air diver can simply purge the second stage and breath the bubble similar to the free flow 2nd stage emergency drill.

I don't know about anybody else, but I rig my equipment up for me and not for another distressed diver. If I can save them with my equipment then great, if not then...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom