Sony MTS files to M4V?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djensen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everybody,

I just bought a Sony HDR-PJ710V camera and after shooting some test footage I notice the clips are in MTS format - which I gather from comments all over the WWW that it is not a well-liked format (but high quality). I want to convert the MTS files to M4V files to edit in iMovie on my Mac.

But...... There's a plethora of programs - free and not - that convert the files. I've tried several. I'd like to know what other people use. While converted footage 'appears' the same from each program, the files sizes can be significantly different (up to 100%+ different), so I would like to find what people have found to be the best conversion program.

I had mixed luck importing the MTS files directly into iMovie - it accepted one clip only, and would not accept the other clips, which were shot in the same format at the same time...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Darryl

Interceptor121 - I'm seriously impressed by the answer on your blog. Brilliant solution, but what a lot of work!

I'm almost embarassed to say that, on a PC, the £35 Sony Vegas Studio (64-bit) handles 50p, 50 Mbps .MTS files no problem.... ;-)

Matthew

I don't have a PC anymore I removed any windows technology from my home around 6 years ago and have not regretted it yet
All programs import fine AVCHD when it is either 1080p24 or interlaced (I hate interlaced formats) but then convert them to their working format which is terrible
My workflow delivers file that you can edit untouched and this gives the best quality as every conversion takes away does not matter if it is prores and runs at 100000 mbps still makes things worst
I am pretty happy with my results with free software and I have been disappointed with other products like premier elements, it was terrible, and I uninstalled after 2 days

I have not fou8nd any significant issues editing my Canon and Sony MTS files, but I use a PC. I archive the original MTS files and the exported edited files separately.

Final Cut Pro should natively import them also. Isn't it around $300 now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom