Restore from DM5 logbook.mdb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leglessmatt

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope everyone is well. Like many people it seems, I'm having issues with Suunto DM5.

Im trying to restore my dives to DM5 so I can export them and import them into other software (Subsurface seems good so far).

I currently have a folder with logbook.bak, logbook.mdb and a few folders called CSS, layouts, reports, templates...it seems I just dragged the user directory rather than doing an export from the app (back in 2012!).

things I've done so far;

- tried importing logbook.bak and logbook.mdb to DM5. - had to select 'All files' when importing as its not in the supported formats. DM5 just restarts following the import and nothing is imported
- tried importing the same files to Subsurface - the app just crashes
- tried import the files to divelogs.de - no dives are imported
- tried searching for old version of DM5 (DM4?) but all links seem dead/old.

I have successfully opened the logbook.mdb file in an MDB view (old Access Database viewer app) and all dives are present - so I at least have dates/times/location etc but no really useful information.

Im hoping it's possible to convert the mdb into a file that DM5 (or Subsurface) will import.

Does anyone have any other suggestions please??

Best regards,
Matt

Good choice to look at subsurface. DM5 has its place but not for day to day use In my opinion. With really no knowledge of your issue, I wonder if it would work to save the MDB file as XLS and try importing that to subsurface?

It’s especially cool that @dirkhh hangs around here occasionally for supporting Subsurface. I imagine he will respond with ideas on how to make it work for you (not about DM5 though).

edit to add:
Welcome to SB. Hope you can hang around and participate. Not sure if your name means anything but guessing you have some interesting stories to share.

If Subsurface crashes while attempting to import the dives, it's possible to debug and try to fix the cause of the crash (and then hopefully end up wtih a full import).

Alternatively if you can already open the mdb with a database viewer, does that allow you to export the contents to another format?

I don't have a huge amount of time, but willing to take a look if you're not able to set up a Subsurface development environment yourself..

- tried importing logbook.bak and logbook.mdb to DM5. - had to select 'All files' when importing as its not in the supported formats. DM5 just restarts following the import and nothing is imported
- tried importing the same files to Subsurface - the app just crashes
- tried import the files to divelogs.de - no dives are imported
- tried searching for old version of DM5 (DM4?) but all links seem dead/old.
Hi Matt

This sounds like data from my application Diving Log, not from SDM. You can open the mdb file with Diving Log and export to XML, which can be imported to Subsurface.

Kind regards,
Sven

Hi Matt

This sounds like data from my application Diving Log, not from SDM. You can open the mdb file with Diving Log and export to XML, which can be imported to Subsurface.

Kind regards,
Sven
you are indeed correct! Lifesaver :)

I load in my mdb file and it find my 57 dives (but says I have more than 10) - any idea how I can retrieve my licence code, I guess I must have previously had one to use the app :)

best regards,
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom