Something's not right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dweeb:
Look at the context. He was paraphrasing Voltaire.
"While I think trust me dives are stupid, I defend peoples' right (including my own) to do stupid things."

I believe that dovetails nicely with your own position - you're missing that you've found a kindred spirit. He just needs to be nurtured into his full potential, and you're just the mentor to do it, Darth Sidious.

Again I say, Star Wars is in everything and is life itself. :anakinpod

Buddha:
Nice try dweeb, read my post again and you just might see what you missed. Like usual, your best at putting words in peoples mouths.

WHO put these words in your mouth? Check the post:

"If an individual is dumb enough to try a "trust me" dive"

Assigning stupidity as a factor in such "personal choices"

"That individual will likely kill themself"

Dubbing some "personal choices" as suicidal.

"That individual will likely kill themself performing a
much more common activity like driving their car to work"

I am particularly fond of this one, as it reflects my own sentiment that such people are not fit for performing the most basic tasks of independent living. It's so deliciously elitist.

"Bad judgement isn't reserved only for scuba diving."

What kind of judgement?

"I don't advocate "trust me" dives"

And here, I tried to defend this statement of yours as consistent with another poster.

Buddha:
Now repeat after me ... personal choice .... personal choice ... there you go, now you got it.

Ah, yes, the tiny little disclaimer sentence at the beginning that's supposed to cloak the entire post in an aura of relativism, except that it fails.

You persistently fail to grasp the nature of the discussion you've interjected upon and the views expressed therein. EVERYONE participating agrees that it is a personal choice. NO ONE has advocated the use of coercive force in barring anyone from doing "trust me" dives. We ALL realize that we are essentially powerless to prevent, (how did you put it, ah, yes) bad judgement on the part of individuals dumb enough to likely kill themselves performing common activities. The ONLY issue being contended here is whether or not, in fact, the decision to make a trust me dive constitutes "dumb, bad judgement." It is the only issue that CAN be reasonably contended here. You, despite your compulsion to portray yourself as above the fray, have clearly weighed in on what is the actual issue of the discussion. If you wanted a discussion on whether it's a personal choice, you can find that down the hall, right next to those debating whether water is wet. That's a non-issue - we all know it's a personal choice. ONE MORE TIME, no one has contended that it isn't, BECAUSE THAT'S NOT the issue. The issue is the QUALITY of that personal choice, something you have expressed a judgement on, and ranked within a heirarchy of personal choices based on their relative wisdom.

after reading alot of these posts excuse me if i have missed one but not one of you have mentioned you diving insurance and if there are any limits to depth on there. Just something else for you to consider.

Mitzi:
after reading alot of these posts excuse me if i have missed one but not one of you have mentioned you diving insurance and if there are any limits to depth on there. Just something else for you to consider.

Don't have a clue.

Mix content and attitude are the only limits I have.

Mitzi:

My insurance doesn't place any depth or breathing gas restrictions on me.

DAN insurance places limits on different depths depending on what level of coverage you have with them. Their most liberal plan places no limitation in terms of depth or gases, but states you must be appropriately trained to make the dives you are making. However, even the most basic level of cover goes down to 40m, so this should not limit the average recreational diver.

I thought the 60-foot limit had to do with getting back to the surface in the event of a catastrophic equipment failure. No air, no buddy in sight (it shouldn't happen, but it can), and the next breath is 60 feet straight up.
You may be bent, depending on what the dive was like to that point (maximum depth and time) and you may get in trouble going up (too fast or not making that "ahhh" sound) but at least you won't drown.
The deeper you are the fewer options you have in a worst-case situation.

And of course, there's all that time wasted wondering "What the ____?" before you take action. Nothing like running through some of those plans (Plan A: brain the husband, Plan B: bring a Spare Air) before your toes get wet.
But that's called education or experience.

Trisha:
I thought the 60-foot limit had to do with getting back to the surface in the event of a catastrophic equipment failure. No air, no buddy in sight (it shouldn't happen, but it can), and the next breath is 60 feet straight up.
You may be bent, depending on what the dive was like to that point (maximum depth and time) and you may get in trouble going up (too fast or not making that "ahhh" sound) but at least you won't drown.
The deeper you are the fewer options you have in a worst-case situation.

And of course, there's all that time wasted wondering "What the ____?" before you take action. Nothing like running through some of those plans (Plan A: brain the husband, Plan B: bring a Spare Air) before your toes get wet.
But that's called education or experience.
O no not that can of worms please not the SPARE AIR of death :eyebrow:

H2Andy:
like, yeah...

sure we're splitting hairs...

any time you talk about definitions you're splitting hairs

that's why we have definitions for things such as
"cave diving" and "wreck diving" which are distinct
from "open water" diving

but may i point out that i belive you are missing the point?
i apologize if you have already done so, but if not, could
you go back to post 31 and read all the posts, in order, to
get the gist of what is going on?

Ok, I am slow to reply, but I did read the posts. The point I suppose is that the classification, open water, prima facie, includes wrecks and caves. My point is that all of the Open Water textbooks stress that you cannot enter overhead environments without additional training. The PADI Go Dive textbook devotes an entire page to it on page 139. I took the SSI course and we learned the same thing. If you read the textbook, then it seems to me that you would know not to enter an overhead environment, particularly when there is a big bold red caption which says "A deceptively easy way to die."

Either people are not reading and thinking and/or their instructors are not stressing this.

I apologize for the late reply, but I've been diving every weekend. :D

redhatmama:
..............but I've been diving every weekend. :D
OOOOhhhh - low blow against those of us who live in hurricane/typhoon country! (I'm soooo jealous I could spit!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom