Some Questions about the AOW Course...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Advanced Skills Dive is used to work on anti silting kicks, helicopter turns, and back kicks first over the platform then on a swim within 2 feet of the bottom or less. We also do basic skills drills (mask,reg ,and weights R&R) while horizontal with the goal of no more than a 2 foot shift in depth. This is also where we practice removing and replacing the slung stage while neutral. Ie unclip and set it down on the platform, recover and reclip. We'll also do an OOA and simulate deploying the stage and stowing it. Last skill is a bag shoot for a drift ascent and safety stop. All of my AOW dives last at least 45 min with the exception of the night dive. That is a min of 30 minutes. Students need to have at min 3 tanks (if using al80's) in addition to the pumped 95(deep dive) and sling bottles I provide. I do no more than 3 students on AOW and prefer two or even one on one.

I include some of these things as part of PPB but not back-kicks or working with pony bottles. Whether or not I show them how to shoot a bag has to do with their future plans at that point. Shooting a bag is also a natural skill to put in the S&R specialty. Another instructor I know teaches it in drift. I know one or two who also teach it for boat.... To me it's important that they know it at a time that's relevant and that they'll be able to get some practice with it right after the class. If someone is about to go on vacation where they'll be diving from a boat or Zodiac then that's perfect timing.

I like the PPB specialty for this because it's a specialty you can put just about anything you want into it as long as you can argue that they have to combine buoyancy control with another task.... in other words, anything. :)

I agree with you too that having 2 students is enough for AOW

Thanks for the insights.

R..

I considered putting the bag shoot with drifting ascent into S&R but once we locate the object I have them secure it, get it neutral, swim it 75-100 feet, then bring it to the surface following the bottom contour. Another 75 feet or so. They need to adjust their buoyancy and that of the bag. Once we get it up we take in back down in the same manner- adjusting to keep it neutral. All told this is a 50 minute dive and at the end a nice easy ascent is called for and welcome.

AOW should NOT be called Advance Open Water. It use to be Open Water 2. Everyone gets all hyped up for the "Advanced" part. As others said if you have a choice take only what will make you a better diver in AOW. Do not waste your time with silly tangents. It is just a continuation of OW and nothing more. It will show you some different dives and make you more confident and comfortable diver. There is NOTHING advanced about anything you learn. It will all be at an introductary level. Just my 2 cents.

Yes I have began to wonder why it is called an ''Advanced'' course, but I wouldnt say, like you have, ''There is NOTHING advanced about anything you learn'', because surely diving to 100 feet/30 metres is SLIGHTLY advanced? Or learning to dive using Nitrox? :)

Back
Top Bottom