Some place different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rialki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all. Am looking for some ideas for someplace new to go in the Caribbean this Spring (2012). Have been to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Bonaire, Dominican Republic, Belize, and St Croix. My favorite spots have large numbers of swim-thrus and vertical walls and large animals. We are both advanced divers but rarely venture below 100ft. Significant night life is not a consideration but nice beaches, away from crowds, with good restaurants nearby are important. Also prefer locations with nice opportunities to shore dive - when the mood stikes (one reason i like bonaire). Any thoughts?

Hi all. Am looking for some ideas for someplace new to go in the Caribbean this Spring (2012). Have been to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Bonaire, Dominican Republic, Belize, and St Croix. My favorite spots have large numbers of swim-thrus and vertical walls and large animals. We are both advanced divers but rarely venture below 100ft. Significant night life is not a consideration but nice beaches, away from crowds, with good restaurants nearby are important. Also prefer locations with nice opportunities to shore dive - when the mood stikes (one reason i like bonaire). Any thoughts?

Good beaches does not translate to good shore diving. In all honesty, I doubt that your list exists.
Saba has no shore diving and no beaches. That being said I would also recommend Saba for something different.

My favorite spots have large numbers of swim-thrus and vertical walls and large animals...Significant night life is not a consideration but nice beaches, away from crowds, with good restaurants nearby are important. Also prefer locations with nice opportunities to shore dive...

You've described Turks and Caicos except for the shore diving..

Good beaches does not translate to good shore diving.
I beg to differ. I lived in Broward County, Florida for 30 years and the beaches and beach diving there are awesome. Now I live on St. Croix, and our beaches are nice and we have awesome beach diving. I agree that good beaches don't "necessarily" translate to good shore diving, but they are not mutually exclusive.

...and the beaches and shore diving don't have to be in the same place.... Great comments so far, actually have begun researching turks and caicos.... any additional recommendations for turks and caicos?? How is Grand Turk?

Have you considered Roatan, Honduras? On the north side of the island, the reef runs very close to the shore. On the south side of the island, there are some places from which you can shore dive. There are nice beaches on Roatan...but bring bug repellent. There are beautiful walls all around the north and south shores and some swim throughs as well.

Look into Dominica. It is a really interesting place beyond its diving. We stayed at Castle comfort Lodge which has a nice shore dive right out front. No big stuff, however, and no immediate beach. There is probably a beach not to far away, but we couldn't be certain from the dive boat. There is quite a variety of restaurants within walking distance.

I beg to differ. I lived in Broward County, Florida for 30 years and the beaches and beach diving there are awesome. Now I live on St. Croix, and our beaches are nice and we have awesome beach diving. I agree that good beaches don't "necessarily" translate to good shore diving, but they are not mutually exclusive.

I won't debate the point with you cause I would lose.
Send me a PM if you would like a follow up on why I posted.

Grand Turk actually does offer a lot of what you're asking for. We have an amazing 7000' wall with beautiful coral and lots of the standard Caribbean fish. Depending on what time of year you're looking to come we have humpback whales that migrate through here from late-December through mid-March or so. As the water begins to warm up the manta-rays also start showing up. On a daily basis though, it is not uncommon to see turtles and stingrays and if you're lucky, a pod of dolphins or some eagle rays. We have a few swim-throughs such as the famous sites McDonalds or Tunnels but most people come here for the wall. You can shore dive as well and it is often included at no additional cost in many packages. It does get quiet here in the evenings but there are a few great restaurants and some local bands that play a couple times a week. Some people express concern over the fact that GT has become a cruise ship destination in the last few years but the port is located on the south end of the island, away from where most divers and long-term (one week+) visitors stay. And you'll never be put on a boat with cruise-ship divers either, which is a huge plus. Oasis Divers and Osprey Beach Hotel was just voted one of Sport Diver Magazine's 2012 Worlds Best Diving Resorts - http://www.sportdiver.com/worlds-be...st-diving-resorts-oasis-divers-osprey-beach-h

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Happy to help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom