Where to next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to ask the help of my fellow divers on Scubaboard about where we should go next, in February 2023. Two adults, that enjoy diving, but also enjoy going out to good restaurants and trying local food. We want to stick to the Caribbean, and are looking for a new destination to try for about a week.

We are both NITROX certified, but enjoy shallower dives where we have plenty of time to see everything around. We don't enjoy "sporty" conditions, or cold water (no no 7 mil, please). Not a big fan of super-early boat departures (but will do so if no other real option). We do enjoy the boats that aren't so crowded, and are quite happy to set up our own gear etc. We aren't interested in liveaboards at this time.

We have done a lot of diving on Grand Cayman and love the ability to both boat and shore dive. We have also dove Cozumel, Saba, Curacao, Key Largo, (edit to add) St Croix and St Martin.

Where do you think we should go, and what would be we enjoy there that can be considered a new, enjoyable experience for us?

Would really appreciate the advice.

We aren't interested in liveaboards at this time.
I understand…but…my exception based on your criteria. Think of it as friendly, quaint, accommodations with an ocean view near town with nice diving in St. Croix…:coffee:

Take a look at cocoviewresort.com in Roatan. The best and most organized dive resort I’ve seen. They have 2 nice walls as their house reefs and the diving on Roatan is fairly easy. This is pretty much a place to get in as many dives as you want in a week but not a lot of other activities for non divers. They have 2 boat trips a day. The first dive in each trip you are taken to different dive sites and the second dive you’re dropped off on one of the 2 house reefs and you make your way back to CocoView. The only thing is you won’t have a choice of local restaurants. And their food is just so-so for me.

For a choice of restaurants, to add to the places you’ve already been, you might try St. Croix. They have some good shore diving, especially at the Fredricksted pier. We usually dive the pier at least twice when we go. For boat dives and restaurants I like the Christiansted area. We used SCUBA (St Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures) which has 2 locations, in Christiansted and in Fredricksted.

Or Bonaire for shore diving, boat diving and restaurants. Shore diving gives you great prices but eating out was somewhat expensive.

I understand…but…my exception based on your criteria. Think of it as friendly, quaint, accommodations with an ocean view near town with nice diving in St. Croix…:coffee:
I was going to say the same thing. St Croix is a wonderful destination, Juliet crew is some of the finest diving peeps, hospitality is marvelous. The Juliet does stop off at one bar by the beach, you have to swim to it! I didn't have a noodle or I would have tried it. On the island we stayed at the Victoria House & used Cane Bay dive shop and I would patron both again. Chocolate BBQ has some of the tastiest meats & side dishes that are worth a few visits!

A lot has changed since my trip (N2TheBlue changed ownership, Cane Bay Scuba and Sweet Bottom Dive Center had some location changes, someone said a zip line operation opened up), but my old report might still give you some idea what a trip there might be like.

St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - Trip Report - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

Take a look at cocoviewresort.com in Roatan.
I loved CocoView Resort and would like to go back. That said, for what he's talking about, I wonder if a West End-based trip would be better? More 'civilization,' and the option of wandering around trying different things?

CocoView Trip Report May 2021 - Trip Report - CocoView Resort May 8-15, 2021

My Research Notes from planning a Roatan Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Roatan Trip

What can you do on Roatan for topside fun?

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg

Warning: the white-faced capuchin monkeys are serious pickpockets!

That said, for what he's talking about, I wonder if a West End-based trip would be better? More 'civilization,' and the option to wandering around trying different things?

That‘s true. I’d forgotten about the west end since we’ve always stayed at east end locations.

Oh, and I love the sloth photo.

We have done a lot of diving on Grand Cayman and love the ability to both boat and shore dive. We have also dove Cozumel, Saba, Curacao, Key Largo, and St Martin.
Did you ever make it to Bonaire? I wouldn't fly down there just for the food, and the last time I went I was aiming for budget (so lots of burgers, fries, PB&J sandwiches, cookies, etc...), but there are place people like to eat. It's smaller and a bit lower key than Curacao, but if shore diving is a key draw, it might be fun.

I knew I had forgotten a destination on that list - went to St Croix, USVI last year and really enjoyed it! I have edited my original post. Sorry about the brain fade. :)

Isla Providencia, Colombia or the Corn Islands of Nicaragua.

OK thanks for all the answers so far. Some great ideas.

We aren't really looking for a dive resort because we want to do other things as well - local culture, and the like, but diving is a very important part.

So staying in a hotel or AirBnB or the like would be good for us.

So far I have heard
  • Bonaire
  • Roatan West End
  • Isla Providencia, Colombia
  • Corn Islands, Nicaragua
In each of those cases, who would be a good dive op to go with? Could we do a hotel or AirBnB withint easy reach of the shop or dock?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom