Where to next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@BoundForElsewhere posted a recent Isla Providencia trip report.

Have you considered Puerto Rico? I've seen sporadic trip reports over the years (got 2 dives in once many years ago). By Caribbean standards, it's very large, and there's considerable topside for you (and it's a cruise ship port, so you know they've got various excursions/activities). El Yunque Rainforest, a Spanish fort, they've got things to see.

A big question is how much work do you want to put into this?

The trip reports for Puerto Rico, being such a big place with diverse offerings/regions and not much in the way of 'turn key' operations (e.g.: A.I. dive resorts), seems from others' trip reports to be a place where you need to do quite bit of research to make an informed decision. I don't know how good February weather is for Puerto Rico.

A Roatan West End trip might be a good deal easier to research and plan.

The trick to finding a new dive destination is (1) has the location been hit and recovered (or in recovery) from recent hurricanes, like Maria (M) and Irma (I) in 2017 and Ian 6 weeks ago; (2) is the location fully functioning since COVID; and (3) how is the reef health in the location, i.e., bleaching, dead coral, no fishies.

Turks & Caicos took a direct hit from M and I and a slight hit from Ian.
Puerto Rico has been decimated by M, I, & Ian.
St. Croix and Dominica took a direct hit from Maria or Irma (can't remember which).
Roatan is overfished. I stayed at Anthony's Key a few months ago and the diving was disappointing.
St. Eustatius looks promising from my research.
St. Lucia is on my list.
Grand Bahama had a direct hit from M and I, it's overfished, and the reef is bleached. I was there last spring.
You might also look at St. Kitts, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, or Grenada.

OK thanks for all the answers so far. Some great ideas.

We aren't really looking for a dive resort because we want to do other things as well - local culture, and the like, but diving is a very important part.

So staying in a hotel or AirBnB or the like would be good for us.

So far I have heard
  • Bonaire
  • Roatan West End
  • Isla Providencia, Colombia
  • Corn Islands, Nicaragua
In each of those cases, who would be a good dive op to go with? Could we do a hotel or AirBnB withint easy reach of the shop or dock?
On Isla Providencia, your best bet is to stay at a posada or homestay. Corn Island is the same.

I dove with a small operation on Providencia called Anda di Wata. Sandra and Halbert are a wonderful couple and huge supporters of the local life as well as the reefs. They have a small 10 pack boat and even set you up with free local fruit juices at the end of the dives. There are other operations but I don't think you'll find any better or more attentive.

I would like to ask the help of my fellow divers on Scubaboard about where we should go next, in February 2023. Two adults, that enjoy diving, but also enjoy going out to good restaurants and trying local food. We want to stick to the Caribbean

St. Eustatius looks promising from my research.
Haven't been and don't know how well it'd match up to your desires, but a group I enjoyed traveling with years ago has a couple of weeks on St. Eustatius planned around that time (late Jan. to early Feb. 2023); Parrot Island Divers, out of Nashville, TN. I'm not going, but since you mentioned it, thought I'd point them out.

Their trips page.

And just in case St. Eustatius is something you guys want to look into:

DAN's Alert Diver Magazine online has A Salute to St. Eustatius from 2017.

@tursiops was very pleased with his week there back in June - Trip Report: Great Week on Statia (St. Eustatius).

OK thanks for all the answers so far. Some great ideas.

We aren't really looking for a dive resort because we want to do other things as well - local culture, and the like, but diving is a very important part.

So staying in a hotel or AirBnB or the like would be good for us.

So far I have heard
  • Bonaire
  • Roatan West End
  • Isla Providencia, Colombia
  • Corn Islands, Nicaragua
In each of those cases, who would be a good dive op to go with? Could we do a hotel or AirBnB withint easy reach of the shop or dock?
There is a tremendous amount of information in the Bonaire forum Bonaire

If you click on one of the Trip Report prefixes, only the trip reports will be displayed
1668523548768.png

My wife and I, sometimes other family, stay in an oceanfront apartment with a great house reef, on site dive op, and boat pick up from the pier. We prepare much of our own food but also eat out.

There are descriptions of all kinds of accommodations among the 67 trip reports posted.

Okay, I got a long shot option, and I don't know how deep or how sporty, but it occurred to me there are Caribbean islands that are so ignored one could imagine they don't exist.

Did you see ElGringoPerdido's Guadeloupe trip review? Do you speak French? Sounds like it might come in handy there. Also, Guadeloupe or Martinique?

Personally, I'm English-only and I don't like being in places where English isn't easy accessed, but some people either know and enjoy using French, or enjoy immersion experiences in foreign cultures. I'm thinking of the people who say 'I'm not a tourist; I'm a traveler!'

If I wanted a 'French-lite' experience (I don't), I might consider St. Martin (with Dutch and French sections to choose from), presumably touristy given the cruise ships that frequent it, and so has topside excursions, beautiful sea around it, nice beaches, and while overlooked as a dive destination, what reports I've seen were positive. @Alucard - you listed it as a place you've dove; did you just do a 2 tanker? Is it a place that'd be worth a week?

I recently found super cheap airfare to Guadeloupe. It looks like a rustic and interesting place.

@Alucard - you listed it as a place you've dove; did you just do a 2 tanker? Is it a place that'd be worth a week?
It was our second choice after one of our group got injured so we backed out of going to Saba until she was better. We stayed in Grand Case and dove with Octopus Divers (who I believe are no longer operating there). It was all boat dives in the bay there, and it was decent, but nothing really great - nowhere near the levels of Saba, Grand Cayman or Cozumel

My recommendation for a dive op on Roatan (West End) is Coconut Tree Divers. I spent a week with them Sept 2021 and really enjoyed it. I will be diving with Anda Di Wata on Isla Providencia Colombia next month. They were also highly recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom