Caribbean Family Beach/Dive Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skeptic14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just returned from a 3rd trip to Grand Cayman, Trip Report, and while overall it was good I am interested in exploring other options that provide a similar beach experience as 7MB for my wife and kids but better diving than West Side Grand Cayman diving.

My opinion of the GC diving is that there's a lack of fish/marine life on a lot of dives. The good dives are very good (lighthouse point, oro verde) but the others are forgettable.

I'd consider the diving to be better if it generally met the following criteria:

- good visibility, 50+ typical
- warm, near 80F preferred
- fishy and high probability to see eels, shark, turtles, octopus
- not interested in tiny creatures and macro
- schools of fish are highly desired
- want dives to be at least an hour; so shallower helps and/or availability to get 100CUs

The additional criteria is that the location has a very good, calm beach for young kids. My dive trips come in two flavors, solo dive trip (short and typically South FL for convenience) and family beach trips where I sneak in some diving. This would be the later type.

Some places that nearly fit the bill:

Provo / Grace Bay - However the problem with this option is boat diving means not returning until 2pm or later which eats up too much of the day for a family trip.
St. Croix - The beaches/accommodations were not quite up to snuff for my wife
St. John - Not looked at as closely, but maybe generally a bit too sleepy, not enough top side

How would others compare the following to GC both from a beach stand point and diving stand point:

Curacao
Grand Turk
Bahamas

What lesser known Caribbean option(s) might there be worth looking into?

Summarizing the criteria would be:

Safe for family with young kids
Great beaches that are calm for little kids
Good top side activities/restaurants
Good diving (better than GC), fishy, big stuff common to see, nice reefs at intermediate depths

I appreciate any ideas and feedback!

You might look into Cozumel, I've just read your GC trip report and Cozumel might fit into your needs. I did a trip to Cozumel in November after not diving in the Caribbean for many years ( most of my trips the past 10 years or more have been to the Coral Triangle which has spoiled me for Carribean diving in many ways) and I really enjoyed diving Cozumel. The reefs are healthy, there is good fish life, and there is alot of nice topography for photos. You could park the wife and kids in a resort down south on Cozumel and then get your diving in. Being down south means your back at the resort with the wife and kids sooner, and they get a nice beach to play on while your away.

@dirtfarmer Thanks for the feedback.

Cozumel hasn't even been on the radar because I don't think I ever read much about it's beaches, so I'll have to take a closer look to see how the beaches and accommodations look. Any particular recommendations in that regard?

Based on everything I've read, I suspect the diving would probably meet my criteria. As it is widely regarded as being among the best in the Caribbean. I'm not sure if I've read much specifically about it being very fishy but generally it does appear to be considered very good diving.

- good visibility, 50+ typical
- warm, near 80F preferred
- fishy and high probability to see eels, shark, turtles, octopus
- not interested in tiny creatures and macro
- schools of fish are highly desired
- want dives to be at least an hour; so shallower helps and/or availability to get 100CUs

The additional criteria is that the location has a very good, calm beach for young kids.

I think Curacao satisfies all of the above. That's where I want to take my family with very young kids, 5 & 7, and my non-diving wife. There is diving and there is a good size city with activities and dinning for the whole family and there are excellent beaches where your kids can stay to play on the sand and you dive and return back to the beach with them waiting for you there at the end of your dive. You don't have to go deeper than 30 or 40ft and get to see lots of marine life.

There are MANY reviews of trips to Curacao in the Curacao forum on SB. Find it and read :)

While not a lesser known location, Curacao will fit your requirements. Its beaches are not Seven Mile Beach, but many resorts and public beaches are delightful, nestled into many protected bays that are easy in/out, fairly shallow, clear, warm water, and a lot of topside activity, with many options for lodging and food. If you choose Curacao for your vacation, I recommend renting a car to maximize your enjoyment of all the island has to offer.

@dirtfarmer Thanks for the feedback.

Cozumel hasn't even been on the radar because I don't think I ever read much about it's beaches, so I'll have to take a closer look to see how the beaches and accommodations look. Any particular recommendations in that regard?

Based on everything I've read, I suspect the diving would probably meet my criteria. As it is widely regarded as being among the best in the Caribbean. I'm not sure if I've read much specifically about it being very fishy but generally it does appear to be considered very good diving.
I don't have specific recommendations as I travel solo and stayed in town, (wife stays at home for most my dive trips). Tons of info on the Cozumel board. I did use Aldora to dive with, great shop small boats, long dives. And you can be very specific in what you want in a guide-group. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want they have excellent customer service.

As I say I'm really spoiled quality of diving wise, and found Cozumel quite enjoyable, there were plenty of schools of fish from small to mid-size. Besides being a photographer I enjoy watching schooling behavior, I actally ended up ditching my camera system and just brought my go-pro, and did alot of watching fish and a bit of video. One striking part that suprised me was the amount of tiny fry nurseries I saw, there were loads of them.

You might consider Cayman Brac.The diving IMO is much better than Grand and accommodation at Brac Beach Resort is good as well. The dive day tends to be deep, shallow,shallow but there is generally no need to go below 50/60 feet on the deep dive. Profile is usually 45 minutes first dive and then, 60 and 60. Plenty of turtles, eels, grouper, schooling fish and the occasional reef shark.

The food at Brac Reef Resort is good /buffet style the pool is one of the nicest in the Caribbean. There is a spa on site and some topside activities including bird watching, tennis, hiking, rock climbing and caves to explore.

As I say I'm really spoiled quality of diving wise, and found Cozumel quite enjoyable, there were plenty of schools of fish from small to mid-size. Besides being a photographer I enjoy watching schooling behavior, I actally ended up ditching my camera system and just brought my go-pro, and did alot of watching fish and a bit of video. One striking part that suprised me was the amount of tiny fry nurseries I saw, there were loads of them.

This in particular is very good to know; that the Cozumel diving quality has stood the test of time for you and some "bucket list" locations.

Looks like Cozumel and Curacao are at the top of my list to start researching further. You wouldn't have happened to also dived Curacao to compare to Cozumel would you?

You might consider Cayman Brac.The diving IMO is much better than Grand and accommodation at Brac Beach Resort is good as well. The dive day tends to be deep, shallow,shallow but there is generally no need to go below 50/60 feet on the deep dive. Profile is usually 45 minutes first dive and then, 60 and 60. Plenty of turtles, eels, grouper, schooling fish and the occasional reef shark.

The food at Brac Reef Resort is good /buffet style the pool is one of the nicest in the Caribbean. There is a spa on site and some topside activities including bird watching, tennis, hiking, rock climbing and caves to explore.

With 2 young kids I haven't really considered Brac or LC due to the extra flights to hop islands. Perhaps an option in a few more years though. How would you compare GC, LC and Brac?

Thanks

A couple quick observations and opinions.

The beach at Grace Bay on Provo is the nicest beach we have seen anywhere and far nicer than 7mb. For a family that enjoys beach vacations this would be the spot.

A common response to diving questions about Provo is that it is best to be done by LOB. I disagree. Yes if you are doing strictly a dive trip and want 3 plus dives a day every day than perhaps. But if that is not your goal, staying on Grace Bay and diving there is fine. Two tank AM or 1 tank PM dives off Grace Bay work just fine for a family vacation and if sharks is your thing you should see them on just about every dive.

Provo is expensive but no more so than GC.

Violent crime is on the rise on Provo and GC. If you felt safe on 7MB I am guessing you will feel the same way on Grace Bay.

Have fun trip planning.

Back
Top Bottom