Some more Destin diving (tg-4 content)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skeptic14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Oct. 15th was quite a windy day so the boat didn't venture out far, we stopped at the bridge rubble dive sites in the 60-70ft depth range. There were only six of us on board when they sometimes accommodate more than twice as many divers, so there was plenty of room for trying to maintain balance in the 4 foot swells.

One diver got sick unfortunately, but everyone else seemed to have a great time despite sub par conditions.

The visibility wasn't bad 25-30' and temps still tolerable too, around mid to upper 70s; my full 3mm kept me nice and cozy.

The dives were excellent. It was nice and calm beneath the surface with lots of marine life:

A goliath grouper, pink meanie/lion's mane, a tiny octopus, several scorpionfish, frogfish, toadfish everywhere, a couple batfish, barracuda checked us out on both safety stops and most of the usual suspects, butterflyfish, angelfish, bait fish schools, grunts, grouper and a few lionfish were dispatched which lead to an interesting sight of a toadfish taking one.

I've only been certified a little over a year and probably just starting to scratch the surface of what the panhandle offers (PCB, Destin, PCola) for divers; thanks for the compliment!

love the photos.....(jelly is very nice)....thanks for braving the elements to bring us such nice images..

Surprised to learn that Destin offers dives. I thought it was just sand throughout.

The FL panhandle and Gulf Shores AL have a very established dive industry. There are many wrecks and bridge debris sites: most have resident goliath grouper and some with resident sharks. I've not had a chance to hit Destin yet but I've been told it actually has coral ledges along with the wrecks

Great post. I'm a Destin diver too. I usually hang out at the jetties unless we bring the boat, but I'm 4 hrs from there. ..in fact I'm heading there today for a few shoe dives before it gets too cold to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom