Some Assmebly Required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

where was I.....
shoot you guys already said all the good stuff.....
(you mean I'm not suppose to whack the valve with a deadblow?)

If the valve is already on then it has to come off so I can wash the inside with hot water and simple green and then dry it out with warm air from a hair dryer....

A little Christolube, Krytox or my own special blend of O2 compatible spit and... shoot....where is that dead blow hammer....

We will schedule a URT class just for you... :tease:

Hammers: They're not just for cylinder valves anymore!

Actually, before my PSI class, I used to routinely loosen and tighten empty valves on empty cylinders by using the heel of my hand. Used to really impress friends when I popped off their valves for repair or whatever. It did NOT impress my PSI instructor who went off on me on how -HE- thought it should be done. First, he felt that a metal to metal contact should be established, and I do not feel (and niether did Steve) this would crush the seal. Second, you are damaging all of those nerves that run through the palm of yoiur hand every time you do this and this will aggravate any carpel tunnel syndrome.

Hey Roak, it's not like we have ever disagreed on something before, :tease: but I think I am going to keep loosening and tightening valves the way my instructor (Steve's PSI number is 004) taught me.

That being said, the other issues Roakey brought up are indeed valid. A new tank needs to be thouroughly inspected before they "slap" on an EOI. Whether this was sold to you by a "newbie" sales person or not would be my question. People make mistakes, and heck there is so much mis-information out there about tanks, that I am getting used to explaining tank ettiquette to morons on a continual basis. I do STRONGLY believe that all employees who handle tanks should at least be given the compressed gas handler's class by a PSI certified inspector.

IF the shop was trying to be too convenient to you, then they have obviously back-fired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom