Solvent to clean stickers / duct tape glue off of cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't no if this is spelled right but acitone or acetone is the BEST THING on the whole entire planet for removing sticky stuff. It comes in a silver can with warning & content labels on it. You can probably get it at somewhere like Granger.

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like a trip to Home Depot is on the horizon.

Mike

roakey once bubbled...

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't say anything about my slide rule, right?

Roak

Shh....

We're all under 30 right?

:D

DCG

Acetone is like the atomic bomb of solvents it will take anything you want off and a lot of things you don't want. OK on metal and galvanized but Id be very nervous about using it on paint or plastic.

Which reminds me do you know the story of the scientist who invented the universal sovlvnet? He couldn't find a bottle to put it in.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
I don't no if this is spelled right but acitone or acetone is the BEST THING on the whole entire planet for removing sticky stuff. It comes in a silver can with warning & content labels on it. You can probably get it at somewhere like Granger.

Acetone is the atomic bomb of solvents it will take anything you want off and a lot of things you don't want. OK on metal and galvanized but Id be very nervous about using it on paint or plastic. You can get it at any hardware or paint store though.

Which reminds me do you know the story of the scientist who invented the universal solvent? He couldn't find a bottle to put it in.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Acetone will take off most organic based substances but not all. I've used acetone to remove gunk left over from stickers so it should work. Just be careful not to get it on plastic* or paint as already mentioned. On another note, I know a lot of folks that try acetone to remove oil, but the best solvent for oil removal is hexanes - it comes off extremely well!

*polyethylene/polypropylene are stable to acetone and most organic solvents

HTH

I put it on my PST tank, I have a bunch of old stickers I took off, but the acetone is not taking off the residual gunk, still a lot of adhesive left over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom