Solve the Diving First Aid Scenario!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a great thread, and a great idea. Should happen more often.

Anyway, after I said that I'd do the tracheotomy, I looked up the procedure online and found detailed surgical instructions for it on medstudents.com.br

Then I found, on the same site, detailed orotracheal intubation procedure instructions.

You can find some awesome stuff on the net. This will be useful when I'm in med school :wink:

H2Andy:
i think this was an excellent demonstration (at least to me) of how utterly unprepared someone who is not a medical professional is to deal with a medical emergency.
which is why your primary goal should be to get qualified help on the scene ASAP, unless you're Snowbear and do heart surgery for kicks...

Yup. That's what doctors are for. Personally it's beyond my standard of care to do anything BUT run off for help. Can't do the snorkel intubation either... dang!

Snowbear:
The problem with this is - most snorkels are larger in diameter than most human tracheas.

that's what a dive knife and duct tape are for

ah... well.... i was thinking of modifying his trachea, but... i guess maybe i should
reconsider that approach

H2Andy:
i think this was an excellent demonstration (at least to me) of how utterly unprepared someone who is not a medical professional is to deal with a medical emergency.

which is why your primary goal should be to get qualified help on the scene ASAP, unless you're Snowbear and do heart surgery for kicks...

but now that jonnythan mentions it... yes... "shove the snorkel
down his throat" is the correct answer

Man, how big is this guys trachea? It sure would be a tight fit, if it fit at all with my snorkel. If I could find it that is.

Even for the pro's this is strictly a case of ABC and Punt.

For me the lesson is that Everyone should take a good First Aid/First Responder type course and stay proficient in the skills. You can never tell when you will be The Difference.

I've gotta get a faster internet connection and learn to type faster

Just sort of skimmed this so I'm not sure that noone has mentioned it yet but.......

My first gut instinct would be to think heart attack (given that the person was pooping out before going up the hill and then crumped partway up it). But considering the swollen tongue.....jellyfish or coral sting comes to mind. Therin also could lie the source of the siezure, as could a hypoxic brain.

ABC's are always first priorities of course and if the airway is compromised to the degree that I can't ventilate the person then I'm going for the cric.

Ok...I'm back...I'd just like to say that the thing with the snorkel IS NOT A GOOD IDEA..especially if you're not a medical profesionnal, and even at that. I just don't want people with little or no training trying to stick a tube in the guys throat/neck. An untrained person trying to perform a modified cric or trach. is not good...you could very easily be sued for neglience (even if you were trying to help). You should never do anything beyond you're training. Legal stuff aside, there's more to this sort of procedure than sticking a tube. If you're not equipped (physically and mentally) to deal with complications of the procedure, you (and your buddy) are in big trouble! The "correct"...remember, no absolutes, thing to do in this situation would be to activate EMS ASAP and attempt to get your buddy breathing as best you can (with the skills you have!). If you contact 911 and work on A (airway) on B (breathing) and on C (circulation), then you've done your part. My recommendation would be to everyone, divers and non divers alike, to get First Aid/CPR training at the least. There are also very good First Responder/Advanced First Aid /Wilderness First Responder courses out there (about 40 to 60 hours of training). I'd highly recommend anyone with the motivation and time to take one of these courses. Hope you never have to use any of those skills, but if you do, do your best and of course....Primum non nocere (First, do no harm). Safe diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom