Solve the Diving First Aid Scenario!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06:
Funny how her breathing got better after we took off the tourniquet!!! True story!

that is too much! a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

about that snorkel... what would happen if the dude is allergic
to plastic? how soon after the tracheotomy (sp?) would
you expect the first signs of an allergic reaction?

Michael Schlink:
Right or wrong I'm taking 'em with me.

me too, under this scenario

I keep laughing at the snorkel image...hence the reason to carry a "pop-a-point" or equivalent for your wet notes...remove points and you've got a very narrow diameter tube. Small cut with those handy dandy razor sharp "Betty Crocker" knives and we're around the swollen tongue (only and only if there is no air getting past after the jaw thrust/drysuit neck seal removal).

A snorkel...hehehe.

Someone mentioned doing a finger sweep earlier.. That's a no go if the PT is seizing. Good way to lose a finger and add a obstruction. Wallet or other soft object to kepp the mouth open, and something else to pull tongue up and allow you to visually see the airway. The hill up to the vehicle sounded to be steep, moving a full grown man, with clothing and dry suit on would be if'y for most folks. I have done sim rescues during training and it is much harder than you would think. Up hill would be not a very viable option for most folks I am afraid. add to that a suspected C spine injury.. I think I'd stick it out there and monitor the ABC's most convulsive activity does not continue, and they might improve after the first intial episode passes. The swollen tongue thing gets me. Are you sure your not my old EMT-II instructor back to haunt me with these wild senarios?

I have had a basic first aid class and in the next 2 weeks will be doing a CPR class and AED class. I was certified over 10 years ago for CPR but never kept up with it. I like the 2 threads that divemed06 has posted, they are 2 of the most thought provoking threads I have read on this board.

During my first aid class we were discussing things we could use to stabalize a person's neck/back if you needed to move them. About a week later while I was cleaning out the back of my suv if found 2 perfect items. My Ford Explorer has 2 hatches in the back storage area. These hatches are about 3.5-4 feet long and about 2 feet wide and made out of some kind of hard material. I know my last truck a Dodge Durango had the same kind of thing.

yup... i've learned a lot from these threads :idea3:

just took my CPR and rescue diver classes, and these threads have me re-reading the materials again

http://www.soloschools.com/wfa.html

I did that course. Excellent course and an excellent intro. I've been thinking about their wilderness first responder course, too.

Contact local outdoor clubs and ask what's good. In upstate NY, the people to talk to are the Adirondack Mountain Club, the RPI and MIT Outing clubs, and the Appalachian Mountain Club.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom