Solve the Diving First Aid Scenario!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
I'm going to grab the scalpel out of my first aid kit, swab the area a bit with a prep pad, and do my cricothyroidotomy and find something to shove in there. Snorkel, maybe.

"This week, on an ALL NEW ER..." :yl2jump:

jonnythan:
I'm going to grab the scalpel out of my first aid kit, swab the area a bit with a prep pad, and do my cricothyroidotomy and find something to shove in there. Snorkel, maybe.

Snorkel!!!! that's on large cric inscision you're gonna make...hahaha...I can just see it know...the guy shows up to the Emerg with a snorkel comming from his throat... I can just see the reaction of the RespTherapist...I love it!

divemed06:
Snorkel!!!! that's on large cric inscision you're gonna make...hahaha...I can just see it know...the guy shows up to the Emerg with a snorkel comming from his throat... I can just see the reaction of the RespTherapist...I love it!

Well, yanno. My snorkel is green too. How's that for an image?

My first aid kit that lives in my trunk actually has a tube that would be good for it, it's about 1/3" in diameter and is made of clear silicone.

you could always blame it on poor snorkel-breathing technique on the part of your buddy...

Ok...I've to go now but thanks for everyone's participation...I think we let it get out of hand! For those with no or basic first aid training who will be reading this..the point I wanted to make was that your training gives you the BASICS to deal with an emergency situtation...be ready for anything...try to remember what you learned...and do your best. These kinds of things are unpredictable and aren't always text-book situtations. Best of luck and dive safe!

well crap! You just gonna leave us hanging here?!

archman:
well crap! You just gonna leave us hanging here?!

I think that ultimately, shoving the snorkel directly into the trachea was the *answer*. I should have gotten it sooner. "Your buddy is in an awkward position and unconsious.." "Quickly shove your snorkel down his throat. It's just the right shape for intubation with the bend, and who cares about the diameter?! It's an EMERGENCY!"

i think this was an excellent demonstration (at least to me) of how utterly unprepared someone who is not a medical professional is to deal with a medical emergency.

which is why your primary goal should be to get qualified help on the scene ASAP, unless you're Snowbear and do heart surgery for kicks...

but now that jonnythan mentions it... yes... "shove the snorkel
down his throat" is the correct answer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom