solution for D-series poppet seat DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The originals have worked fine for me. I was looking for seat substitute as alternative to buying a complete service kit for times when all that is needed is a new seat plus a few orings. Just for the fun of it, curious to see if it could be done.
OK I get it sounds like fun.

Only about 10% of the OEM seats will seal at 0.6", even if the knife edge is perfect. Has to to with material aging for the old orange translucent seats (my favorite), or less than perfect surfaces in the newer black seats.
@Kupu's 104 provides a perfect mating surface, if only we can get it to seal.
I have 4 spares, 2 with what I would call the top hat are orange with a green seat, 2 black top hats with black seats. My D400RS is cracking now at .6 no leaks that I can hear, second one with an RS kit same deal no leaks that I can hear. Should I be checking them in the sink?

That's a good idea, if only for grins. If the leak is that slow, it doesn't really matter for a dive anyway. But that's a great test to see if they're still holding 0.6". I try to send out my best seats.

That's a good idea, if only for grins. If the leak is that slow, it doesn't really matter for a dive anyway. But that's a great test to see if they're still holding 0.6". I try to send out my best seats.
Ok I’ll do the sink test for shits and giggles... also the D400RS case is tight as a drum. :)

Ok, I’m giving the 104 in the 420 one more shot, black silicone adhesive to the poppet shaft, 104 adhesive in the cup with the tiny o ring, so far so good :acclaim: but will do more shop testing and decide at some point before my next dive if I trust it enough to put it back into primary use or run it on the pony.

I found my non RS was actually leaking. Pulled a vacuum on the inlet and it was leaking no matter spring tension. Replace with an RS poppet and it sealed up. Now I have a poppet to experiment with. :)

I was reading regulator savvy page 75 poppet details... soft seat itself is a brass disc with a soft synthetic rubber coating. Would another option be to re-coat (dip in rubber) the disc?

Would another option be to re-coat (dip in rubber) the disc?
That could work. Looking for Shore A55. Maybe look at the thread @Angelo Farina started about his DIY SPEC Boot for the compound he used. Critical to get a perfectly flat surface on the side opposite the disc (which is actually a hat with a central cylinder). A challenge indeed!

The thought of trying a liquid silicone or EPDM to resurface LP seats has crossed my mind as well, but not tried it.

That could work. Looking for Shore A55. Maybe look at the thread @Angelo Farina started about his DIY SPEC Boot for the compound he used. Critical to get a perfectly flat surface on the side opposite the disc (which is actually a hat with a central cylinder). A challenge indeed!
Was thinking about electrostatically bonding the rubber coating to the brass disk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom