Solo trip to Bonaire - Is it easy to find a buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveStar

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was starting to plan a trip to Bonaire in August when it occurred to me that, as a solo traveller, it may be difficult to do all the lovely shore dives without a travel/dive buddy. Any other singles out there that have gone to Bonaire alone? What were your experiences?

Have not booked a resort yet, but am looking at the Coral Paradise Resort. I am open to all comments on this place as well.

Thanks!

I did the same thing about a decade ago, and I had a lot of trouble. It seemed like everyone where I was staying was part of a big group doing big group things. Later on, I mentioned my experience online, and people told me it was all because I had gone there during low season.

So that is one person's experience during low season about 10 years ago.

Since you're considering Coral Paradise - they use Habitat as their dive operator. The dive pictures on their site of the boats, dock etc. - those are at Habitat - just a short walk south. We actually dive Cliff - the site in front of Coral Paradise - from Habitat's dock. Habitat has a bar right above the dive dock. Pretty filled with divers in the afternoon. Although surprisingly it's the only place where I spoke with two different couples who were not divers - there and at Rumrunners one night. Buddy Dive is also next door, that's mostly divers also.

As John mentioned, August is low season. I was there a month earlier and although I had a buddy, I was also asked thrice if I needed one while waiting for him. Once at our condo rinse tank, once at Bonaire Dive/Adventure and an instructor asked me at Habitat. He was not one of their instructors so maybe freelancing off their dock. I'm not the most outgoing person either - usually keep to myself unless someone starts a conversation.

Most people buy dive pkgs. on Bonaire. Many include boat dives and unlimited air for shore diving. We were on the same boat for several mornings. We later saw some of our fellow pax at dive sites - one family we ran into so many times it was comical. Had we asked, I'm sure we could've dove with them also. My point is that you run into divers everywhere - restaurants, resort bars, the departure lounge in Houston if you take the Friday night red-eye. Most people on that flight are divers also. Who else would be that stupid...:D

My buddy only wears dive t-shirts so by the time they called our flight we had plans to meet up with two different groups to dive later that week. Schedules didn't permit but we did see them all at the Plaza's bbq one night.

Bonaire used to be - and probably still is - one of those places where available rooms exceed available flight capacity. So unless it's really a slow time - or the Kiteboarding Championship or Regatta week - most people on the island are divers or with divers.

Since the standard dive vehicle is a four door pickup most people have room for one more if asked. Although I haven't stayed there my feeling is that Buddy's bar is a social hub for divers. It used to be City Cafe downtown but they closed. Karel's overwater Bar is another spot.

The only downside to Coral Paradise is that it's a smaller property. So the pool of available divers for diving Cliff there might be smaller. Hamlet Oasis is nearby and there's a Dive Friends shop there.

Make an effort to find someone at a resort or bar in town etc. because the dive sites are pretty isolated. Many times in the afternoon we were the only people there. Since there's no facilities at any of them, people drive up, dive, then leave. Since you don't bring much with you due to theft - and August is a hot month. (it is after all a desert island) Unless you drive past the one way north of town, nothing is more than 15mins. away from any resort. I carry a credit card, c-card and $20 cash in a case around my neck and dive in a t-shirt/board shorts. So except for dive gear spread out loose on the backseat, all I bring is a towel and water. And dollar store sunglasses. Once you do the BMP orientation, your current tag is all the ID you need if you should run into the BMP ranger.

Post in this forum after you have a firm date. I read in another thread that there's at least two groups there in August. Most probably won't mind a tag along. If I run across the thread again, I'll post a link to it here. Bonairetalk.com is another source for finding a buddy - people post there frequently. If you're the least bit outgoing I don't really think it will be an issue.

There's also freelance paid guides on Bonaire - like Basdiving - if you absolutely couldn't find someone. The DM on our boat made it clear that he did also - paid him $25pp to dive Town Pier one night. (it's closed now) If you boat dive mornings, you'll either get an insta-buddy or dive with the DM. Most just locate stuff - we dove all week as a loose group of 8. Vis is so good that the DM's can keep track of everyone.

fyi - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bonaire/478107-trip-report-coral-paradise-2-7-2-15-a.html

Last edited:
Yes, I too had a lot of trouble finding a buddy - still do. The choice was to dive solo or not dive. Solo it was. My gear is serviced well and I always inspect the tanks. The hardest part was dining alone in Bonaire but I had a blast diving. Too old for solo diving so I would definitely try to find a buddy for shore dives or take boat trips which cost a lot more, but they put you with a buddy... who may or may not be a safer choice.
Maybe you could find a dive shop and get in on their group trip. This is what I'm doing now so my adult son can go to w-o-r-k and not have to babysit his mom at exotic locations around the world.

Just left Bonaire yesterday. I stayed at Buddy Dive and met one buddy on this site and a couple more at the bar at happy hour. You can also book a few boat dives and usually find a buddy that is there solo. I literally booked two weeks before I went so I'm sure my early diving would have been better, buddy wise if I had posted here earlier.

Your best bet may be to find a group that is going the same time as you, even if not from the same area, and book the same place. There will always be buddy less divers in these groups.

Buddy dive also has a blackboard you can put your name on that you are looking for a buddy.

Probably the easy button is to go on a few boat dives and let it be known you are looking for a shore diving buddy. Having a truck already rented will help you out there for sure.

I will return to Bonaire for certain and won't let the fact that I am by myself keep me from going.

Dean

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going to check into Buddy Dive too. Seems like the place to be.

FYI for anyone going soon, apparently Buddy Dive is not running boat dives from Aug 2-9. Just heard back from Coral and they included this info.

DiveStar,

I recently had to cancel a week with my dive shop in Bonaire at Buddy Dive at the very last minute due to a death in the family. I am considering options for rescheduling later in the summer. I didn't have trip insurance, but Delta has said I can re-work the flight without penalty. I've been to Buddy twice before and I really like the way they do things.

If you're looking to coordinate with someone, let me know the exact week (8/2-8/9?) and I'll see if I can swing that.

We just returned from Bonaire. While we were a fairly large group, one diver (another SB member someone bumped into on the way down I think) joined us for many of our dives, and often he and I buddied up.

Over the years I can not count the number of "solo" divers, or divers' who's spouses don't dive, or dives little, who I have buddied with for the week or a dive or two.

Just be friendly and open and chat with other divers at the airport on the way down, at the Bonaire airport when you are there, at the resort and on the dock or a dive boat. A lot of very friendly divers visit Bonaire, and often you will find couples where one person wants to dive a lot more than their partner..

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2014 at 01:08 PM ----------

It helps that my gf is only an occasional diver and happy to just sit in the sun, while I see not reason to stay above the water any longer than I need to while on Bonaire. (I can stay dry at home! :wink: )

I am always looking for other divers, while I also do quite a few solo dives on Bonaire by choice.

I almost always travel solo and have not had a problem finding buddies all over the world. I'm usually gone for 3 weeks to 3 months so my buddies can rarely take that much time to go with me. If you begin with boat dives you can probably connect with a few singles that way and then go on to shore dives.

I was told by Buddy Dive that they would not accept solo diving unless I had a solo cert card. Have others had that experience? I'm not knocking it as it is an understandable policy. After over 3,000 solo dives I probably know enough to teach a solo course. I chose Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn where I can dive solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom