Solo trip to Bonaire - Is it easy to find a buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've stayed at Divi Flamingo a couple of times. We liked the way the dive operation was run very much. There were always one or two solo divers, or a couple who would let you join. (We adopted some solos ourselves)If you are still looking, you might give Divi a glance. I look forward to your after action report...always looking for something that might be better!

Cheers, and enjoy your travels!

I am going solo to Bonaire 7/11 - 7/19 staying at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn, I'm looking for dive buddies but if not will do the dive solo option, I have nearly 1000 dives and am rescue certified.

I was told by Buddy Dive that they would not accept solo diving unless I had a solo cert card. Have others had that experience? I'm not knocking it as it is an understandable policy.

That is their official CYA policy however in reality they neither know nor take notice of whether you are solo diving. Certainly off site sites they cannot police but even from their dock they do not hassle/question solo divers.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I certainly understand dive ops that will not officially recognize solo diving. Have been at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn for a few days now doing both boat and shore dives. On the boat dives you can go with the group or break off and do your own thing. Shore dives have all been solo on the house reef. Nice, low key operation.

@bmorescuba, @DiveStar, @arieh,

I too am a single diver and looking to take a trip this summer. I've been to Bonaire a number of times but always with groups.
Are you all planning on going? and when? I'm looking at the week of the 16th or the 23rd of August.

My other option is to do a liveaboard in Belize where it doesn't matter if you have a buddy or not.

Alexandra

I think you'll really enjoy your stay with them. I'm doing the last of 18 dives in an hour. Most of my dives here were solo, but there was always an instructor/guide in the water with us if you wanted to dive with them.

I am going solo to Bonaire 7/11 - 7/19 staying at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn, I'm looking for dive buddies but if not will do the dive solo option, I have nearly 1000 dives and am rescue certified.

---------- Post added June 20th, 2014 at 09:21 AM ----------

I prefer doing mostly boat dives myself so it would be pretty obvious to them I was diving solo.

That is their official CYA policy however in reality they neither know nor take notice of whether you are solo diving. Certainly off site sites they cannot police but even from their dock they do not hassle/question solo divers.

Back
Top Bottom