Solo gear configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comparing drag factors, is anyone using underarm side slung cylinders as main cylinders instead of back mounted?

I dive sidemount almost exclusively. Much less drag and lower air consumption in my experience.

The Aqua Master contains no "O" rings other than the one at the tank to regulator connetion. It has no pressurized hose and associated "O" rings supplying air to the diver that can rupture. I can either not use a BC or use only oral inflation ( see my avator photo) eliminating another potential hose or "O" ring rupture or stuck inflator. If I use an SPG, a HP hose failure is not nearly the issue it is with an LP hose because of the tiny orfice used.
Can the regulator fail, yes. I can also be hit by a meteor, but I don't worry about either because it is an extremely remote possibility.

I tried to connect a LP inflator hose and an octopus to the Aquamaster and both failed on me - the octopus freeflowed and the LP hose leaked. I didn't want to adjust the IP of my aquamaster or buy a new octo so I reluctantly decided to discard both and my dives have never been so exhilarating and free.

I've also unscrewed the SPG from the banjo and unknowingly took it underwater (hi noob), and the trickle was insignificant - I was wondering if I broke the dang thing since I expected a large WHOOOSH. This was in a pool and the first day trying my regulator.

After one shoddy tune up by the LDS worker (who "claimed" to know how to tune an aquamaster) the diaphragm was placed wrong and for the dive after a crap load of water was leaking into the second stage. Air could still come through despite the wet breathing. After that incident, I decided to learn the workings of the 2nd stage and now I feel more comfortable and confident doing it myself - taking it apart, adjusting it, putting it back together and then diving it.

Last week I dove the regulator without the hose clamps (forgot them in my other dive bag - hi noob) and only noticed on the last dive when I handed the boatman my rig from the water and he pulled off the hoses.

I've come to think of the (royal) aquamaster as the AK47 of regulators. Most of the problems of my regulator were U2E (user to equipment - hi noob), and I still have more to learn, but I'm hoping that will come with more experience.

I was thinking about the most likely equipment failure with this setup that I am most scared of and that is the banjo o-ring failing. Which I assume would be like a tank o-ring failing?

I feel more comfortable diving with my royal aquamaster than with my modern regulator set, especially since most of my dives are with photographers anyway (who have mindsets that their camera is their buddy). My only qualm is if their equipment fails and I need to share air with them (off topic in the solo zone).

captain:
The point of these forums to me is not to get divers to do anything any particular way, It is to share methods and experiences and get divers thinking.
And I thank you (and the many others) for that. My former buddy really got me into the DIR mentality. He quit diving and free my mind I did. I should post pics of me rocking the vintage rig on VDH but I don't think I have a clear enough shot.

I tried to connect a LP inflator hose and an octopus to the Aquamaster and both failed on me - the octopus freeflowed and the LP hose leaked. I didn't want to adjust the IP of my aquamaster or buy a new octo so I reluctantly decided to discard both and my dives have never been so exhilarating and free.

I've also unscrewed the SPG from the banjo and unknowingly took it underwater (hi noob), and the trickle was insignificant - I was wondering if I broke the dang thing since I expected a large WHOOOSH. This was in a pool and the first day trying my regulator.

After one shoddy tune up by the LDS worker (who "claimed" to know how to tune an aquamaster) the diaphragm was placed wrong and for the dive after a crap load of water was leaking into the second stage. Air could still come through despite the wet breathing. After that incident, I decided to learn the workings of the 2nd stage and now I feel more comfortable and confident doing it myself - taking it apart, adjusting it, putting it back together and then diving it.

Last week I dove the regulator without the hose clamps (forgot them in my other dive bag - hi noob) and only noticed on the last dive when I handed the boatman my rig from the water and he pulled off the hoses.

I've come to think of the (royal) aquamaster as the AK47 of regulators. Most of the problems of my regulator were U2E (user to equipment - hi noob), and I still have more to learn, but I'm hoping that will come with more experience.

I was thinking about the most likely equipment failure with this setup that I am most scared of and that is the banjo o-ring failing. Which I assume would be like a tank o-ring failing?

I feel more comfortable diving with my royal aquamaster than with my modern regulator set, especially since most of my dives are with photographers anyway (who have mindsets that their camera is their buddy). My only qualm is if their equipment fails and I need to share air with them (off topic in the solo zone).

And I thank you (and the many others) for that. My former buddy really got me into the DIR mentality. He quit diving and free my mind I did. I should post pics of me rocking the vintage rig on VDH but I don't think I have a clear enough shot.

I don't often use a banjo, my concern is more with having the two O rings on the yoke connection. A better option in my opinion is if you own your own tanks is to find some of the K valves that have a port for an SPG. Dacor and a few others made them. The port is only pressurized when the valve is open so the SPG can be installed with the tank full. Or if you have a good feel for your air consumption, that and a J valve on shallow dives would also be an option.

Because it is the belief of some that simple is better. Simple and robust systems are more reliable than complex redundant systems, just another approach to reliability. Most, simply put, rely on multiple failure prone systems, I in contrast rely upon one RELIABLE system. One good knife is all I need. Besides, if I were into eliminating all risk, I would stay in the bed, I prefer to manage risk. The chance of my Aqua Master completely failing is about zero as far as I am concerned therefore I don't need to tote around extras. I don't need extra masks, I don't carry a snorkel. If your mask is damaged then simply surface. You should be able to complete a dive from start to finish WITHOUT a mask before considering yourself ready for solo, as an example. If your in overhead (including deco) then certain additional complexity is required as might be the case for deep solo, night solo etc. Still, the idea is to rely on skill and experience, not your gear, to complete the dive.

N

Nemrod, I by no means mean to criticize your approach that you have decided on in terms of your personal config. However, I do find your reasoning flawed and don't agree with the generalizations you make. You contrast "one reliable system" to "multiple failure-prone systems." The idea of true redundancy, if done right, is to use multiple reliable systems.

Most of my solo diving is lobster hunting in 30 fsw or less. I carry 2 lights, 1 knife, 1 mask, 1 lobster bag, no snorkel, and a 13 cu ft pony. @ 30 ft I can pretty much do a CESA anytime during the dive, but the pony lets me do it with more control. The 2nd light means I don't have to scrub the dive if the 1st one goes out. I try to keep it simple because walking over the rocks with all that equipment is more dangerous than the dive itself.

Nemrod, I by no means mean to criticize your approach that you have decided on in terms of your personal config. However, I do find your reasoning flawed and don't agree with the generalizations you make. You contrast "one reliable system" to "multiple failure-prone systems." The idea of true redundancy, if done right, is to use multiple reliable systems.

I think what Nemrod means is anytime you increase the number of systems you multiply the number of potential failure points. If you lose a backup mask or knife do you call the dive. How many would call the dive. If you don't then you didn't need it in the beginning.
His and my system has very few failure points to begin with. I can put together a tank and regulator system with only one very very low potential failure point.

I appreciate your imput and I of course don't agree with you. Any time you add complexity you increase the likelyhood of a failure. As Captain asks and I ask the same, if you lose a mask (spg, reg, knife, insert as you desire) are you going to call the dive, if so you did not need the spare and if not then your right were I am. That is a simple example but it exactly illustrates my and Captain's process. Of course, I have stated, deep, deco and overhead are significant considerations wihen the surface can no longer act as your redundancy. One size does not fit all, I cannot go with the "I use the same rig for everything" approach as I have already pointed out that method is flawed in that in solo your missing a major component, your buddy. Rigging for a buddy I don't have just adds failure prone equipment I don't need as a solo diver. N

People are taught that more of anything is better. "Dive with a buddy" "Use many engined airplanes" etc. While it is true that more brings more tools to solve a problem it is also true that more brings more opportunity to create a problem.

So, take what you NEED and no more. Of course personal comfort is a big factor in deciding what you need.

I dive solo the same as with a buddy. My octopus rigged around my neck. I always know where it is, and it does not drag or get crud in it. I can also tell if it is free flowing...

I have 2 knives. One small one is clipped to the right side of my BC just above the pocket. The other is usually larger and attached on the inside of my left leg. This way it is less likely to get caught in something. This is an old habit from salvage diving in black water. You want to be able to reach a knife with either hand if you get tangled.

I have a weight integrated BC that I can easily dump the weights if necessary. My BC also has releases (most do) so I could take it off if necessary. I use one mask. Simpler is better.
When I started, a J-valve was my redundant air.

Things that could go wrong...

1) Ruptured high pressure hose. No big deal. Just abort the dive and surface.
2) Ruptured low pressure hose Either on a BC or a reg. Surface immediately. When the air supply is low, CESA.
3) Blown O-ring, CESA
4) Forgetting to check my air.... Not gonna happen.
5) Getting tangled. Use a knife. Undress if necessary. You should be able to completely remove and reassemble your gear at depth.
6) Heart attack, stroke, seizure. Bad when solo. Bad when with a buddy.

Basically I always assume that I am responsible for my life during a dive. If am with my regular buddy, we are both hunting. Either with a spear gun, for lobster, or with a camera, we are hunting. there is a good chance we may drift out of sight from one another. This is especially true in high current situations. We will usually be within 500 feet of each other, but that is too far for a rescue in a 2 knot current.

I do not recommend leaving a boat unattended. One diver down and one on the surface. However, if you are in 20' with no current, not too far form shore, etc. this suggestion may not be necessary. Use common sense.

Something that I may have missed in this thread, or it wasn't touched on possibly...

For those that dive independent doubles..Do you run one LP hose from one tank to your BC, and another LP hose from the other tank to your dry suit...or run them both off one tank?

Currently I am running them off one (my right bank) tank, starting my breathing on my left bank...take that down 500psi or I start to list....then move over to my other tank 'til it is down...then back to the first tank...etc..
I am figuring if the tank with my BC and drysuit hoses goes down/empties, I can still manually inflate my BC...and if at any depth, there should be already plenty in the BC to ascend safely..more than likely having to dump air from the BC than add to it..

Is there protocol on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom