Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex777

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have been asked several times what the official position is in the Cayman Islands regarding solo diving. It is governed by the Water Sports Operations Guidelines of the Cayman Islands Tourism Association (CITA), last updated in August, 2003. The rules are set out in a long passage which divides diving into 7 categories called:

Supervised Wall Dives from boats
Unguided Wall Dives –From Boats
Supervised shallow dives from boats
Unguided shallow dives from boats
Instructional dives from boats
Supervised Snorkelers – from boats
Shore Diving/Snorkeling

The ONLY section which imposes a buddy-diving requirement is the second one, "Unguided Wall Dives - From Boats." So, technically, solo diving is permitted by the Guidelines on shallow dives and shore dives. Moreover, it is implicit that divers in a "Supervised" group do not have to be paired with a particular buddy.

Of course, these "Guidelines" are something less than rigid, absolute requirements: later on, they say "As with any set of guidelines there will be exceptions." On the other hand, an individual dive operator is permitted to impose its own, more rigourous rules.

The Guidelines are available here: http://www.divecayman.ky/divemaster/safety.aspx

Alex,

Thanks. I've often wondered about this. Most times I dive with Mrs DS, but have wondered if I could do quick dive alone if she wanted shore time (which, of course, means shopping time!).

DS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom