Solo Diving Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think most of us are DIMW divers...Doing It My Way! :wink:

I wholeheartedly agree, but one should always be careful to create acronyms that can't be easily twisted into disparagement.

DIMW might be morphed to refer to Wit! :shakehead:

I'd pick another....or better yet, reject the whole notion of needing a group label. :D

Dave C

Well here are my two cents for what its worth.

Scuba Diving is an adventure sport using life support equipment.
Last statistic for 2007 I remember reading was less than 1 million active certified scuba divers in US population 300 million. Definition for this survey was 5-6 dives a year being an active diver. Thats my count per month if I am on schedule for my diving year in the sport.
Out of this number how many are Solo diving? Probably very small number of the population. Does that make Solo diving elite? My answer is yes.

When I was a US Navy diver on submarines, all our dives were solo. Most professionals understand that solo diving is required and not a lot of time to plan. Back in my Navy daze on submarines our dive team was expendable and they let us know this. I had a lot of close calls, no vis and no redundancy. Boy have things changed, and changed for the better with equipment, training and safety. I was in the Bahamas diving a few years ago and remember the dive master going solo down to the wreck with the bouy line against a current. Reminded me of the "can-do" attitude we had under any situation diving professionally. He had no redundancy.

Considering that the Scuba diving community polices itself and training agencies, I believe we are the most exciting and one of the safest sports available for adults and children. The technical diving community has more knowledge and better redundant equipment available than I did back in the early eighties. Great strides with safety and techniques being discussed, shared and tested monthly. Great ways to share ideas and techniques and questions like ScubaBoard.

With people living longer, people over 50 getting to do things like diving that they did not do younger, we are living in a really exciting time in history. 30 years ago when you got to 30 years old or sooner you were disqualified to dive. Today, modern medicine, good safe practices, procedures and an incredible safety record in recreational diving we can encourage almost anyone to explore the underwater world. More is better since we have a lot of room to grow this wonderful sport of scuba diving, just look at the number of avid active divers available in my first paragraph. This will probably open up to some sad medical incidents diving that have not been seen in the last 20 years, not necessarily directly related to scuba diving, but do to the age of the divers.

I am grateful being located in Central Texas and diving with Texas Swamp divers I have a great group of divers to hook up with whether diving with a buddy or solo diving.

Glad to be able to dive, Glad to be free in this great nation (USA) Glad to be a Texas Diver.

See you diving,

Shawn O'Shea

I am grateful being located in Central Texas and diving with Texas Swamp divers I have a great group of divers to hook up with whether diving with a buddy or solo diving.

Glad to be able to dive, Glad to be free in this great nation (USA) Glad to be a Texas Diver.

See you diving,

Shawn O'Shea

:texas: :42:

I wholeheartedly agree, but one should always be careful to create acronyms that can't be easily twisted into disparagement.

DIMW might be morphed to refer to Wit! :shakehead:

I'd pick another....or better yet, reject the whole notion of needing a group label. :D

Dave C

Yep, it was a joke, and I wasn't plannin' on copyrighting it, but you have a good point.:wink:

I sure as heck wasn't tryin' to label us Swampers. I don't think even the most imaginative among us can come up with an acronym that can describe this bunch...we're a pretty diverse group. But...now that I've said that...I'm sure some of us will start tryin'. What good Texan can resist a challenge!? :wink:

See you diving,

Shawn O'Shea

Shawn
Our passion has a black cloud hangin over it.

]Scuba Deaths Prompt Calls For Oversight - New York Times

Dave

Dave I am missing your point regarding this '6/1994' newspaper article and this thread/post.

Look at the Date at the top of the NY times page. Wednesday, January 9, 2008 was when they opted to rerun the story from 1994. Not sure why, maybe to stir some lawmakers up.

This thread is about freedom of choice correct? I could see government trying to step in and dictate how they think things should run..

Look at the Date at the top of the NY times page. Wednesday, January 9, 2008 was when they opted to rerun the story from 1994. Not sure why, maybe to stir some lawmakers up.

This thread is about freedom of choice correct? I could see government trying to step in and dictate how they think things should run..

Heck I missed the current date...just saw the 94',,,,I guess you might be right about them stirring things up.

The New York Times is good about stirring things up at times. Ultimately I feel it is up to each individual to be responsible for themselves. I do not want the government regulating every aspect of our life.
I am new to diving and I feel I do have common sense. I do know my limits and when my mind says DO NOT DO THAT, I listen. For me that goes for solo diving. Anything can happen. I just want to be able to go home after every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom