Solo Diving Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at the Date at the top of the NY times page. Wednesday, January 9, 2008 was when they opted to rerun the story from 1994. Not sure why, maybe to stir some lawmakers up.

This thread is about freedom of choice correct? I could see government trying to step in and dictate how they think things should run..

Very interesting for pointing this out. The date on NY times page is Jan 10th, and the article is 1994........how lame to re publish this after all those years.

Pretty good for divers if they don't have any current data to use against the industry.

But you are right about anyone who is so misinformed and ignorant that they would even take this approach of regulating the scuba industry. That talk is complete and total stupidity on the part of these control freaks. Very misguided individuals and writer.

I'll be diving .........when all else fails go Stealth .........disrcretion works ......

Ultimately I feel it is up to each individual to be responsible for themselves.

Your statement hits the nail on the head and I could not agree with you more. I know Darwin's law will sort things out. However with the abundance of personnel injury lawyers & their greed in the mix. The last thing attorneys want is the general populous to be under the impression that individuals should be solely responsible for their own decisions & those choices may have bad consequences. In my last will & testament I have stated if I pass while diving no matter what the situation was ,that under no circumstances shall anyone but myself be held accountable and no one is allowed to sue. Diving has been my passion for almost 20 years and their is not a day that goes by that the next dive is not thought about one way or another maybe that is because I believe passionately an individual is solely responsible for themselves. So plan your dive & go over all the what-ifs.

The government wants you to depend on it.
I think their is more going on than what meets the eye.

YouTube - Ron Paul /Aaron Russo on TV talkshow 27/9/06.(1of2)

YouTube - Ron Paul/Aaron Russo on TV talkshow 27/9/06.(2of2)

RON PAUL is the man

SAVE AMERICA support Ron Paul!

Your statement hits the nail on the head and I could not agree with you more. I know Darwin's law will sort things out. However with the abundance of personnel injury lawyers & their greed in the mix. The last thing attorneys want is the general populous to be under the impression that individuals should be solely responsible for their own decisions & those choices may have bad consequences. In my last will & testament I have stated if I pass while diving no matter what the situation was ,that under no circumstances shall anyone but myself be held accountable and no one is allowed to sue. Diving has been my passion for almost 20 years and their is not a day that goes by that the next dive is not thought about one way or another maybe that is because I believe passionately an individual is solely responsible for themselves. So plan your dive & go over all the what-ifs.

The government wants you to depend on it.
I think their is more going on than what meets the eye.

YouTube - Ron Paul /Aaron Russo on TV talkshow 27/9/06.(1of2)

YouTube - Ron Paul/Aaron Russo on TV talkshow 27/9/06.(2of2)

I told my wife, family, everyone when I used to climb trad, I said if I die, for any reason, rope break, anchor fail, for any reason whatsoever, if anyone tries to sue anyone I will come back from the grave and haunt them becaus I knew the risks I was taking and it was soley my responsibility.

RON PAUL is the man

SAVE AMERICA support Ron Paul!

I've listened to Ron Paul's idea's a few times. Personally I believe that if Ron Paul were the president and did what he says that he wants to do, creating a "Constitutional Sized Government", that it will put the US and possibly other countries into a economical tail spin. Creating the sized government that Ron Paul wants to create would drastically downsize the military, other branches of government, and ultimately completely cut out entire branches of government, such as NASA. Doing this would mean that hundreds of thousands of government employees and government contractors would lose their jobs. Unemployment would go through the roof and many companies would probably see profit margins tank if not go bankrupt, essentially sending us into a depression.

There is no way for Ron Paul to eliminate taxes and downsize the government without severe economical effects. Not that I disagree with him about running a constitutional sized government, but I see major downfalls of doing it. FYI, by the constitution, a true constitutional sized government is only the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of the government. For many years of our history our government didn't even have a military; the individual states had militias, which by todays standards are the states national gaurd.

I dont' beleive he could accomplish all that he set out for, it simply can't be done, when I first listend to them I was like he's crazy

but then

think about it

We need someone that radical to help pull us back the way we need to be, think of a falling tower, if you just kinda go well.... maybe.... lets just give it a tug its gonna continue to go over, if you get in there and go nuts, you may be able to keep it from falling.

This tower is too heavy for ron paul to pull it back all the way over, but maybe he can pull it hard enough to keep it from hitting the ground.

I like the acronym. Besides, it's a joke, Dave.

I hate when I'm a dope! I totally missed it. :shakehead:

Thanks for being gentle, sniff, sniff.... :)

Hopefully, I'll pay more attention when I'm diving solo! :D

Dave C

The date at the top is simply todays date. They did not rerun the article.

Now that the thread is beyond hijicked::eyebrow:

Regarding government regulation on diving (and those savages who solo dive...)

Consider the following passage...

"But I like the inconveniences."

"We don't," said the Controller. "We prefer to do things comfortably."

"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."

"In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."

"All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."

"Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen tomorrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.

"I claim them all," said the Savage at last.

Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

--from Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom