Solo diving on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are you reading that is giving you pause? I have never had a problem solo shore diving in BON. I must have over a hundred at capt dons house reef and never an issue. Solo certified with redundant air.

Sorry to ressurect this thread but I was searching for solo diving in Bonaire and found this.

Many of you have said don't ask, don't tell. I agree with that. However what if they ask where's your buddy? Yes you can lie and/or walk away. And if the next shop asks the same?

I was going to Bonaire in July as a solo diver but now have doubts. I suppose I can boat dive.

If there are any updates, please post.
I was in bonaire last november (2023) and got my padi self-reliant before I went. I also brought my own 20cf pony. I don't recall them asking for my cert, but did a quick vis (like REAL quick) before they filled my tank and then walked away. I was with a group and the rule on the boat was no solo. My buddy and I basically were doing solo dives somewhat near each other - but that was the boat rule. I did solo night dives at the resort after boat diving days, no issues/concerns. I don't mind having to have the cert as there are many, well, no so skilled but think they are, out there. I also know that getting the cert doesn't mean I learned anything (I did as I wanted to). Have a great trip and happy diving.

Just exhibit your version of situational awareness and self awareness…then go play in your comfort zone. Bonaire is great for that… :bounce::bounce::bounce:🤿 All IMHO, YMMV.

My recent experience (yesterday). Dive Friends at Cliff asked if I was solo diving because I asked for a fill of my pony, and I don't like to lie, so I said yes. They said cert was required, so I'm glad I had just gotten it because I was worried that might be the case. Also had to sign a special form.

This was surprising to me because of an email back in Sept 2023 where I asked:

I plan to bring my pony bottle on my next visit, and have one of your locations fill it. Will I have any problems or special considerations to keep in mind?

True, I didn't specifically asked if I needed a certification, but I was trying to be generic and cover any possible blocker, like some places have local regulations against it (yes, looking at you parts of California).

The response was:
As long as your pony tank is up to do date with the visual and hydro testing than you can have it filled with us.

Maybe their policy changed since Sept 2023, and like I said, I didn't specifically ask if certification was required, so I'm not upset with them, just sharing as FYI for others. It would really suck to get here and not be able to dive. In my case, I'm here for 3 months, and maybe could have gotten certified while here, but I imagine that could have been some weeks without diving waiting for an available instructor. No fun.

I do find it odd that a PADI Self-Reliant certification is what is required to dive alone in Bonaire or anywhere, since the course literature specifically states that the training isn't so you can dive alone. It probably reads something like "you should not" but I don't remember the exact words. I think some other agency(s) still call the class "solo diver", but not PADI.

The real shocker was the 15 tank card is $210 instead of $180 now, that hurts a little, maybe enough that I'll go see if Buddy Dive prices also increased.

Come on folks. This is Bonaire, the home of just grab tanks and go.
Pony bottle? Fill it yourself from an extra AL80.
I have done literally hundreds of solo dives on Bonaire, without ever involving any dive ops. No one asks unless you make it their business
Solo night dives, pre-dawn solos, just plain solo diving, "unlimited shore diving" means you can be on your own, set your own plans and dive your own dives, load your gas without drawing attention, and just go diving.

Come on folks. This is Bonaire, the home of just grab tanks and go.
I have done literally hundreds of solo dives on Bonaire, without ever involving any dive ops. No one asks unless you make it their business
Solo night dives, pre-dawn solos, just plain solo diving, "unlimited shore diving" means you can be on your own, set your own plans and dive your own dives, load your gas without drawing attention, and just go diving.
When we're you last in Bonaire?

IMHO You are doing certified solo divers and dive ops in Bonaire a disservice by continuing to rent tanks from them to solo dive without the requisite certification. You need a certification to dive, a certification for nitrox and dive ops are requiring a certification for solo. It’s not that complicated. The requisite certification provides the dive op with a level of protection from claims and adverse consequences from knowingly renting tanks to someone they know or should have known did not have the requisite certification and wad diving outside the limits of their training and certification.

I think the days of looking the other way or not being upfront with the dive op are numbered.

When we're you last in Bonaire?
14 years straight, until Covid. We sold our place there during the shutdown.
The coming SB Bonaire Invasion in @25 days will be our first return in roughly 3 years now.
We miss Bonaire, and the freedom that Bonaire shore diving represents.

My recent experience (yesterday). Dive Friends at Cliff asked if I was solo diving because I asked for a fill of my pony, and I don't like to lie, so I said yes. They said cert was required, so I'm glad I had just gotten it because I was worried that might be the case. Also had to sign a special form.

This was surprising to me because of an email back in Sept 2023 where I asked:

True, I didn't specifically asked if I needed a certification, but I was trying to be generic and cover any possible blocker, like some places have local regulations against it (yes, looking at you parts of California).

The response was:

Maybe their policy changed since Sept 2023, and like I said, I didn't specifically ask if certification was required, so I'm not upset with them, just sharing as FYI for others. It would really suck to get here and not be able to dive. In my case, I'm here for 3 months, and maybe could have gotten certified while here, but I imagine that could have been some weeks without diving waiting for an available instructor. No fun.

I do find it odd that a PADI Self-Reliant certification is what is required to dive alone in Bonaire or anywhere, since the course literature specifically states that the training isn't so you can dive alone. It probably reads something like "you should not" but I don't remember the exact words. I think some other agency(s) still call the class "solo diver", but not PADI.

The real shocker was the 15 tank card is $210 instead of $180 now, that hurts a little, maybe enough that I'll go see if Buddy Dive prices also increased.
Thank you for this info. Very helpful. Perhaps things have changed.

1716343283508.png

The above was from DF website. So not sure what the tank card is in relation to.

I bought a whip to bring with me, but decided against it because I'd really love to bring less gear on each trip, not more. I live really far from an airport and either pay $800 for a taxi or Uber that may or may not show up (each way), or I take 2 busses, a ferry, and a train, with some walking between each. I'd really love to find someone here that will let me store some stuff, but I'll wait and see how this 3 month visit goes, and if I do end up staying here 6 months out of most years, I'll do that for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom