Solo diving on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not gonna happen with any reputable instructor.

A good instructor is going to be less focused on numbers, and will deal with actual experience and skill levels when working with a diver.

Hey, I support the requirements for any certification that you can get. I also agree with tursiops that any reputable instructor should not bend rules that are put in place to make this a safe sport. When I have 100 logged dives I will get the self reliant certification. I am sure that the self reliant certification underscores the importance of redundant systems and experience to reduce the risks associated with diving alone. I will admit that I have done some risky (read stupid) things when I was scuba diving in my 20s. What is the saying, "There are old divers.....and bold divers...but there are no old, bold divers." Smile.

Hey, I support the requirements for any certification that you can get. I also agree with tursiops that any reputable instructor should not bend rules that are put in place to make this a safe sport. When I have 100 logged dives I will get the self reliant certification. I am sure that the self reliant certification underscores the importance of redundant systems and experience to reduce the risks associated with diving alone. I will admit that I have done some risky (read stupid) things when I was scuba diving in my 20s. What is the saying, "There are old divers.....and bold divers...but there are no old, bold divers." Smile.

I am not going to continue debating something that nobody is going to "win", but I have known more than a few old, bold divers, and I have encountered instructors who focused on numbers and book learning, and who certified quite competent divers, and I have met others who were able deal with real world experience and thought out of the box, and who produced above average divers, sometimes from pretty mediocre divers, who wanted to learn.
There are no Scuba Police, and it is up to you to decide what level of training is best for your particular situation.

If you want to shore dive solo, don't advertise (don't ask, don't tell), get in a truck and go dive solo. As long as you're not diving the "house reef" under the nose of an op that doesn't like solo, nobody is going to care. If you need to rent a pony, you might get a little "stink eye" without the cert, but just tell them you prefer diving with redundant gas. All the op can do is say no. If you're worried and want redundancy, bring your own. Be safe and make sure you're ready to solo. Otherwise "buddy up." It's not that hard to find buddies, just a bit of a hassle. Have fun. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

I thought I would post this so people don't get surprised.

Bonaire is sometimes referred to as the home of diving freedom. One context is with respect to solo diving. One of the larger firms on the island is now discouraging / preventing solo diving unless you have a TEC cert or a solo diving cert. You then have to sign a solo diver waiver.

It was really disheartening to see a young woman whose significant other could not or would not dive, be told that she could not dive by herself. She looked very upset. We offered to have her dive with us, but she declined.

Solo diving is not for everyone, but if anyone does want to do it, perhaps they should do it in the safest possible manner. So, I can understand any dive op not wanting people to go solo without appropriate training or certification.

This hit home enough for me to get solo diver instructor certified once I got back so our people who want to dive solo don't run into this situation.

I was usk in some DC for rent 2 cylinders...no complain...it is true i am also self-reliant instructor and TEC....but still :wink:=

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom