Solo dive or not??

Have you solo dove in water depths less then 25ft?

• Yes

Votes: 49 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harvo once bubbled...
Would you solo dive in water depth less the 25 ft?
I would and I do, but I don't limit myself to 25'. Around here, the best diving as far as cool stuff to see is generally quite a bit deeper than that. No matter what if the depth is 3 feet or 130 feet, redundant air and knowledge in how to deal with problems is mandatory.

Robinhood once bubbled...
If you look at alot of dive accidents you'll see that many of them were caused by the buddy. Oftentimes, the buddy can be a liability especially when diving with someone who is not as experienced as you.
What accident reports are you reading?

Anyone that is in need of a buddy either
a) Does not have the proper equipment to feel safe on there own
b) Does not have proficiant water skill to swim without someone else, or is just not in condition to save their own life- and certainly not someone elses.
c)need a buddy as a security blanket because of the unknown (a.k.a. the big shark simdrome)
d) all of the above

Most people that are certified for scuba are still a liability- They generally do not keep up on diving skills and can put me at risk. I only dive with other solo divers- but let them know deckside whenb they ask to tag along- "expect me to loss you. If you are fine with that then come along" They generally want to watch me hunt for game. I have no problem with that, but let them know they are on their own and don't swim to me for help or I will just pull your weights and send you up- I do have a heart- I would follow of course.

I ONLY SOLO DIVE WITH SURFACE SUPPORT! In the case I ever get bent,etc. All I need to do in an emergency is get to the surface and hope the DM is on his game (Thats his job- thats what he's paid for). I carry full DAN insurance.

Pepsi once bubbled...
b) Does not have proficiant water skill to swim without someone else, or is just not in condition to save their own life- and certainly not someone elses.
c)need a buddy as a security blanket because of the unknown (a.k.a. the big shark simdrome)
d) all of the above

Crack is bad, dont let others tell you diffrent. Those reasons are a joke.

Pepsi,

I'm sorry, I just don't agree with your list of reasons for someone who needs a buddy. Hey, some people prefere to dive with a buddy. I'm one of them.

This in mind... are you saying I meet the criteria of your list?

GQMedic once bubbled...
Pepsi,

I'm sorry, I just don't agree with your list of reasons for someone who needs a buddy. Hey, some people prefere to dive with a buddy. I'm one of them.

This in mind... are you saying I meet the criteria of your list?
Chances are, the person you are diving with is on that list- or else you are both solo divers that choose to swim together. There is no other options here. Do you dive with a completely redundant air source, or do you rely on your buddy? If the later, you are on the list.

Nope, I dont' dive with a completely redundant air supply, and no, I don't rely on my buddy for air either, I simply don't get myself into OOA emergencies! Do I have one, yup! Do I use it? NOPE.

So, I halfway meet your list, huh? *chuckle* too funny.. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'd say the people I am diving with rely on me over a redundant air source.. but hey, I'd imagine it's because I'm their instructor. :geez:

Oh, and on another note.. I drink coke, thanks anyway..
:coke:

Pepsi once bubbled...
Chances are, the person you are diving with is on that list- or else you are both solo divers that choose to swim together. There is no other options here. Do you dive with a completely redundant air source, or do you rely on your buddy? If the later, you are on the list.

Pepsi once bubbled...
d) all of the above

Tell that to the face of a cave diver who has done miles-deep penetrations and see what kind of reaction you get.

As I have posted earlier, I do about 80% of my dives solo and have about 100% of my problems when diving with a buddy (always a pick-up buddy like on a dive boat). Most of my buddy diving is with well-known (by me) divers who are also underwater photographers and dive similar styles to mine.

Dr. Bill

Yes, I did it about a month ago at one of our popular lakes. My dive partner got yanked to help a class at the last minute, so I figured I would just dive shallow and play with the fish. I had 30 dives logged in this lake in a couple of months and knew every rock...

however...

It scared the absolute h*ll out of me. It wasn't a panic attack or anything, I just stayed really on edge and didn't enjoy the dive at all.

I vowed NOT to do that again. I'm used to having an aircrew in a former life, so I guess it's programmed to stay..

I guess I'm a wimp, but a secure-feeling one at that!

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom