Solo cert when already tech certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I highly doubt it. Solo tech diving is actually officially discouraged in some circles. The SDI solo class specifically mentions solo tech diving as a bad idea. We all know it happens, though.
While you may be correct in a training environment, in real life almost every tech dive is solo, with companions.

Yes, there are some out there that teach team bailout, and that if the team has one spare ____between all of the team members, that’s good enough.

I disagree, I’m firmly in the camp of being 100% self reliant, and everyone I’m diving in loose formation with should be as well.

Solo skills are covered in AN/DP. Solo mindset is what the solo instructor is teaching. If your tech instructor is teaching you to rely on team members, it’s my feeling that they are doing you a disfavor. If they are teaching you to always question, self awareness, and self reliance, they are preparing you for technical diving.

As with all things, there are exceptions. Some extreme cave exploration (WKPP) couldn’t have happened without team members schlepping stages so one pair or team could be heros. But that’s an extreme case.

I did it really backwards...

AN/DP -> Ice Diver -> Solo

Solo was to answer some dive shop requirements..... nothing more, nothing less.

However, the instructor (different from AN/DP) did push and challenge me in taking the certs from him...

I highly doubt it. Solo tech diving is actually officially discouraged in some circles. The SDI solo class specifically mentions solo tech diving as a bad idea. We all know it happens, though.
That's exactly my catch. Tech and Solo are quite diverging approaches...

That's exactly my catch. Tech and Solo are quite diverging approaches...
That being said, ALL tech diving ideologies include the concept of “my buddy/team just died…I need to be self reliant enough to attend the funeral”

I'm thinking of a short trip later this year. Dives will be within recreational limits both depth and time wise.

The operator wants me to have a solo cert because I'll be on my CCR rather than OC. Now I'm not against taking classes and certs if it makes me a better diver or teaches new skills.

Seems to MD though that there is nothing new with a solo cert that I don't already know with AN/DP and CCR.

So hive mind, what are your thoughts? Is this guy just trying to sell me what for me is a worthless class?
It's basicaly a box ticking exercise, but the Solo Diver "course" will do an assessment that you've demonstrated your skills at diving alone, recovering from any 'issues' thrown at you.

The SDI Solo Diver cert (there's no TDI Solo) is ONLY recreational open circuit, with some redundant backup gas.

All CCR divers should be self sufficient in terms of kit and basic training. You have the bailout and backup kit -- mask, spare SMBs (which double redundant buoyancy for the purposes of flying solo), reelS/spoolS, kniveS, computerS, bailout cylinders, etc.

@formernuke

Are you actually looking for someone to certify you solo on CCR or just the solo cert?

Neither. This sounded like BS and someone just trying to sell me a class that doesn't do **** for me.

I plan to dive with someone else on the boat not just "run off" on my own. He flat out said he wanted the solo cert because I would be the only CCR on the boat.

My tech classes taught me to be totally self reliant. Basically you are using your buddies only if by some chance everything goes wrong which is pretty much impossible. It was weird, you are totally self reliant but we are doing team skills.

Section 24.9 Approved Outline, item #4:

When Not to Solo Dive
a. Overhead environments
b. Decompression and deep diving

But in the CCR course, does that caveat exist? I dont remember any of my IANTD tech classes, including my Tech cave course stating no solo diving? Thus my point, but I have never taken a CCR class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom