Solo Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

volhokhoo

New
Reaction score
I am a fairly new diver (about 20 dives) who had the importance of buddy diving drilled into me during my training. Every place I've been so far has made sure we know who are buddies are and stay close by them. I've had great buddies, excellent dives, and have always felt safe.

I was taken aback, therefore, when on my last trip the dive master asked if I would ascend solo (I was the only one in the group not using Nitrox). Not adhering to the buddy system mentality surprised me. Without my own watch to mark the time and knowing big waves awaited me at the surface, I declined. Luckily I avoided being the downer to the group since the really new Nitrox divers went through their air quickly, causing us all to have to surface anyway.

I'm wondering what people think about being a little loosey-goosey on the buddy system and if solo ascents are usually an okay thing. What are your thoughts/experiences?

I am a fairly new diver (about 20 dives) who had the importance of buddy diving drilled into me during my training. Every place I've been so far has made sure we know who are buddies are and stay close by them. I've had great buddies, excellent dives, and have always felt safe.

I was taken aback, therefore, when on my last trip the dive master asked if I would ascend solo (I was the only one in the group not using Nitrox). Not adhering to the buddy system mentality surprised me. Without my own watch to mark the time and knowing big waves awaited me at the surface, I declined. Luckily I avoided being the downer to the group since the really new Nitrox divers went through their air quickly, causing us all to have to surface anyway.

I'm wondering what people thinking about being a little loosey-goosey on the buddy system and if solo ascents are usually an okay thing. What are your thoughts/experiences?

For a new diver, I would ascend with the diver. Otherwise, after verifying they are ok with a solo ascent while still on the boat, I'd send a diver up the flagline solo. I check one more time before he ascends to make sure he's ok going alone, and has enough air to do the safety stop. This often happens in 3+ dive groups.

I have seen this done; in fact, in our first trip to Maui, my husband was sent up early. I was uneasy with it, but both he and the DM seemed completely relaxed about it.

Knowing what I now know, I wouldn't accept being sent up early, and I would not ever permit a teammate to ascend alone. When the dive's over, it's over; if it's short because somebody's gas consumption was high, there's always another dive. Yes, in 100 feet of viz, going up the anchor line, the risk is low, but it's not zero, and anything I can do to help, I want to be there to do.

I've read about a lot of diving accidents that happen on the surface before or after a dive. Geared up on the surface isn't necessarily safer than submerged. I don't mind a dive being thumbed by my buddy and surfacing together for whatever reason, and I wouldn't appreciate a buddy that does.

Just my 2 cents.

I have to agree with Lynn and Rick. No to doing the solo ascent. When my buddy is ready to end the dive, my dive is over too. Never a question, never an attitude. I expect the same from my buddy. Luckily I've never been in that situation, but IMHO DM's that do that are just wrong.

IMHO it's never a good idea to turn someone into a solo diver.

If I am diving in a team of 3 I try to make sure we're all in agreement on that. I'll dive in a team if that is how it goes, but I much prefer pairs. In a team of 3 everyone seems to unintentionally be a worse buddy.

I was taken aback, therefore, when on my last trip the dive master asked if I would ascend solo (I was the only one in the group not using Nitrox). Not adhering to the buddy system mentality surprised me. Without my own watch to mark the time and

My buddy and I always stay together, both underwater and on the surface. It wasn't always like that, however a few "Oh s***!" moments convinced us of the wisdom of staying together, so now we work really hard on not getting separated..

The surface is exactly where you need a buddy the most (or at least as much as underwater), because that's where the boats and the waves are, as well as various DCIs.

That said, if you're running out of air and the DM is being a jerk, I'd pick a solo ascent with plenty of air over staying with the mob and running out. An even beter option is to discuss this with your buddy before the dive and make sure you have a good buddy and that you have a safe plan for ending the dive.

Terry

I agree... as a new diver, don't even think about going up without the group or your buddy. There's just too much that can happen, and the main person qualified to help would already be too far out of reach to help ya!

I was taken aback, therefore, when on my last trip the dive master asked if I would ascend solo .......

I'm wondering what people thinking about being a little loosey-goosey on the buddy system and if solo ascents are usually an okay thing. What are your thoughts/experiences?
The really bad situations happen when the DM or your buddy assume that you will ascend solo, while you assume that either a buddy or the DM will ascend with you. The good part about your story is that there weren't any surprises.

Ignoring for the moment whether it is good or bad, solo ascents are very common with DM-lead group dives in clear tropical waters. The justification is that if doing a drift dive, that the DM can watch you go to the surface and see that you have boarded the boat. On a moored/anchored dive, he will at least see that you have touched the upline.

Nothing prohibits you and your buddy from ascending together when either of you reaches your ascent pressure.

If you don't have a buddy, and you don't wish to ascend solo, then you need to find a buddy willing to ascend with you. The DM is leading the entire group and will not normally break away from the group unless there is an emergency.

When diving with no DM and one or more buddies, it is best to be very explicit on the agreement about whether or not you are going to do a solo ascent. Since I have pretty good air consumption, newer buddies will be hitting ascent pressure earlier. On dives where I'm towing a flag my usual agreement is that he will do a solo ascent along the flag line and I will ascend as far as necessary to observe him all the way to the surface and to see the boat maneuver to pick him up. I am very clear that for any reason or no reason at all, he can command me to ascend with him by pointing at me and signalling up. If he does commence a solo ascent, a series of 2 or more pulls on the flag line will cause me to immediately ascend to his depth.

Don't do anything you are uncomfortable doing. Make sure ascent and turnaround pressures and procedures are explicitly agreed upon.

Charlie Allen

Without my own watch to mark the time and knowing big waves awaited me at the surface, I declined.

Just one noob's opinion here but:

I think you were right for being concerned about the solo ascent. I've read that many accidents occur on the surface, so having a buddy there (especially in big waves) could be useful.

I also think that you were wrong for not having your own watch to mark the time for your ascent. Every dive is responsible for his own equipment and safety. What if you got separated from your buddy or group, and HAD to make the ascent alone? Being self-sufficient is a very important quality in diving. Go get a watch! :D

Back
Top Bottom