Solid vs. split fins

Solid or split fins

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my Atomic split fins, but it's been enough years since using anything else that I can't really compare them. BTW - I've heard the Ocean Master ART fin is easier on the knees. Perhaps someone else has experience with these?

I have very bad knees due to a genetic deformity and need knee replacments (I'm only 29 and trying to keep from the replacments as long as possible). I have solid fins. I like them, but after a day of diving, my knees hurt.

I tried a pair of Atomic split fins at Dive Quest (have to use their gear if you dive there) and absolutely loved them. My knees felt so much better after that dive. I thought the difference was amazing!

I voted split fins. I will be buying a pair as soon as I can afford them. (Funding another vacation at the moment! :) )

I vote split fins, I have the all black TUSA X-pert zooms and absolutely love them. They're awesome.

another option might be to alter your kicking style. Either use a kick that has more ankle action and less knee strain (mod-frog and dolphin are possible candidates) or switch between kicking styles during the dive. You may not need to switch fins for this eaither.

Next time you and WC get to Maui you're welcome to borrow a pair of jets to try out too ...

Aloha, Tim

Force Pro, 6 hip ops and 3 knee ops. Not a problem

Splits (Atomic, specifically).

The Atomic Aquatics are on the stiff side for splits, so a flutter or dolphin is natural, and a frog kick is definitely do-able, but not what the fin is engineered for (IMO).

I'm prone to leg cramps (and no, it's not from a lack of conditioning)... the splits are simply easier to kick with and less 'cramp-evoking' (in and out of current). I like the concept and feel so much of the splits, I'm thinking of moving to an even lighter resistance / more flexible brand, such as the original Apollo Bio-Fin Pro... (yep, I own paddles, and use them often in Lake Lanier only because I keep them on the boat).

You'll find as many varied opinions as there are members (multiple threads on this)... and they're all valid -- it's a personal choice.

I use the Genesis Reponse fins. It is rather a hybrid between the solid & split fins & offers the best of both worlds. It doesn't kick as hard as a solid fin but had a little more umph than the split fins. It has a solid outer edges, but the middle is a soft very flexible rubber.

I'm still a relatively new diver, but I absolutely loved the switch to my split Apollo Bio fins :)

Hi, how are ya Kathy?
Bad knees are a bummer. Like erparamedic I can get a new one as soon as I ask. Luckily I’m a lot older. Did I just say that???
I went for the grey or middle of the road Twin Jet, the black I felt were markedly stiffer. I can’t remember what color your Twins are. I was hurting bad in the water and barely able to walk upon exiting. Paid the small fortune hoping they’d help. Made a big difference, knee doesn’t hurt fining, still hurts to walk but no more than usual.

I don’t recall you saying what constituted bad knees. I wonder if it makes a difference if the problem is ligament (MCL, LCL or the iliotibial band slip slidey thing)? I’m missing cartilage and ACL with good LCL, MCL and PCL so stable just bone on bone arthritis.

I’ve wondered if a better blade than what I replaced would cause less problems for me. People seem to feel pretty convinced their choice is the right fin, with so many to choose from there must be something to action and stress variables.

Can you hit up all the shops looking for as many different kinds, brands and models to try? You said sometimes pain diving, any consistent activity or condition cause pain? I can tell when I’ve covered a lot of ground for example.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom