Solid vs. split fins

Solid or split fins

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

get the solids, learn to frogkick (if you don't use that already) and see how it works for your knees. for flutter kicking force fins may also worth a try (but i'd only buy a used pair off ebay - they are overpriced new imo).

I use tusa x-pert zoom fins. I also own and occasionally use XS Scuba Turtles and Power fins. I dont know which is best but I like the x-pert zooms best.
I have interest in trying the scubapro twin jets but they are ridiculously priced at my LDS. I aint paying nearly $200 for fins, that seems crazy.

TracyKent:
I selected solid because thats the only type I've used. May come a day that I change, but not until my Aeris Velocity fins wear out.

We're diving Velocities as well. I have 2 pairs for wet & dry suits. My wife has them as well. They seem to be a nice compromize between a paddle and split. They have enough relief with the slits and soft center not to be too demanding yet they propel well. They did qute nicely in scubalab a few years back.

I have tried Jets and with the Jets the frog kick was a lot easier.

I have tried Atomic slips and felt like a bag of worms.

Regarding observations of effort, stress and strain most of that can be attributed to lack of conditioning. If you dive infrequently and do not train in fins or do other similar exercises then your current or other fins can easilly overload you legs and cause fatigue and cramps. Any fin applies significant leverage to your legs and conditioning is everything. Fins are like gears, some thrive on power, others on speed if you put a power fin on legs accustomed to speed then they will lug you down to use the automotive metaphor. With a little training most will adapt.

Pete

katekicks:
Wildcard recommended I try a solid fin and I rented a pair, but I didn't like the pair of rental fins either and it felt like I was working harder.

Were these Jets or some crap plastic paddle? There is a world of difference.

Damselfish:
I don't think a poll is going to tell you which fins will make your knees happy. Especially since you've now tried both types and neither did it for you. Maybe you just have to try more fins, or maybe there's a technique issue or you should be trying different kicks.

I know a poll won't tell me what's best for my knees. I also knew that I'd get a wide range of opinions and advice here on SB!

I own both ScubaPro TwinJets (split), and ScubaPro Jet Fins (solid). In my opinion, the splits are a little easier on the knees for a traditional scissor kick, and the solid fins are better with a frog kick.

A scissor kick with reasonably straight legs will probably be easier on knees regardless of the fin type, but I found that the split fins made things easier on my knees. Keeping your legs relatively straight, and not bending your knees with every kick will probably make a bigger difference than what fins you are using. A frog kick will apply some sideways pressure as you bring your feet together, and this can be pretty hard on the old knees.

Since your question directly concerns your knees I have got to say get some splits. In a recreational environment they will be fine.

Having just said get some splits, I should let you know that I don't often use my split fins anymore. I now use the frog kick on all dives, and like the solid fins a lot better. I do have a history of minor knee problems and joint pain. This was a factor in getting my splits in the first place. When I changed my kick style I had some considerable knee pain, but with practice and refinement of my kick that is no longer an issue.

You need to decide for yourself.

Have fun,

Mark Vlahos

I selected solid because the 5 pairs of fin I owe are solid.
It's probably because I started as a freediver.
Got the sporasub dessaut, some custommade fiberglass freediving fins, a air of mares Volo race for snorkeling and recently Jet Fins.
Solid, definitively solid. I want something that respond quickly and I have the legs to handle the sporasub dessault with the long and thick blades soo....

Mark Vlahos:
I own both ScubaPro TwinJets (split), and ScubaPro Jet Fins (solid). In my opinion, the splits are a little easier on the knees for a traditional scissor kick, and the solid fins are better with a frog kick.

A scissor kick with reasonably straight legs will probably be easier on knees regardless of the fin type, but I found that the split fins made things easier on my knees. Keeping your legs relatively straight, and not bending your knees with every kick will probably make a bigger difference than what fins you are using. A frog kick will apply some sideways pressure as you bring your feet together, and this can be pretty hard on the old knees.

Since your question directly concerns your knees I have got to say get some splits. In a recreational environment they will be fine.

Having just said get some splits, I should let you know that I don't often use my split fins anymore. I now use the frog kick on all dives, and like the solid fins a lot better. I do have a history of minor knee problems and joint pain. This was a factor in getting my splits in the first place. When I changed my kick style I had some considerable knee pain, but with practice and refinement of my kick that is no longer an issue.

You need to decide for yourself.
I agree with Mark 100%. Although I usually my splits, I own and use both, depending on the type of dive I'm doing.

I prefer the solid fins. I have Mares Avanti.

TOM

I have apollo bio pro fins (splits) and love them. I had been using jets (normal) and for me the difference is day & night. I can accelerate faster with the splits and feel more relaxed using them. I have used a few other non-splits as well and they seemed OK but not as good as the splits. I don't have hundreds of dives yet but for me the difference is easy to notice. I bought my wife some Twin Jets as she has dove those and liked them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom