Soft weight can cause cancer??!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bteo3

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought 2 2pounds soft weight from my LDS. Brought it home and was trying to insert into my bc then i saw this printed on the soft weight:

"This product contains a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harms."

Should I be concern with this???!! It's a well known brand! I am shock if the above statement is true, yet this product is allowed to be made and sold! Can someone shed some light on this?

I wouldn't start worrying unless you're in the habit of eating your weights...

NO don't eat your weights:D those little pebbles stick between your teeth and won't come out

hehehe, thanks guys it really got me worrying. Is it just me or maybe they should have worded it a little differently.

"This product contains a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harms."
The same can be said about your car.

I'd advise you not to use it... :D

the warning is because ingesting lead, lead dust etc causes brain damage - the brain is most vulnerable to this during development so kids are most at risk. this is why lead paint was banned but it still causes problems when sanded or if kiddies eat paint chips in older apts/houses....
so wash your hands! :)

This warning is on a wide variety of products which contain lead and are sold in California. It is required by law. I guess we should have had it on the toys and other products with lead-based paint imported from China, but retailers wisely chose to pull the products since many of them were intended for children.

I use coated lead hard weights primarily, but do not worry about using soft weights if the occasion arises. Soft weights may transfer some lead-contamination to your hands, so to be ultra safe you might want to wash them before chewing your fingernails, sucking your thumb or just plain eating!

I have two different styles of soft weights. The first is the neoprene filled bags. The second is nylon mesh filled bags. When I let them dry on a rack I have noticed that the mesh bags leave to residue of abrasion dust, whereas the neoprene filled bags are much better encapsulated. I read somewhere that the lead shot that they fill the bags will is coated with something to help keep the dust down, but given the choice I would avoid the mesh style. The residual dust is probably toxic, but even if it isn't, I'd rather not deal with the mess.

I wouldn't start worrying unless you're in the habit of eating your weights...

Thank you...
But even then I'd be more worried about lead poisoning than cancer.

To be very safe, it'd be advisable to wash your hands even after handling hard weights as you'll get some lead on your hands even then.

Definitely wash your hands after messing around with your soft weights.

Lead tends to accumulate in your body over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom