ScubaPro Dive bag and Cancer Warning Concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I received a ScubaPro Dive bag off of Amazon and there's a warning sticker:

"WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Di(2-ethylhexyl)phtjalate (DEHP) and Lead, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65warnings.ca.gov"

Is this normal and just an overblown concern, or should I just get a different bag?

Thanks for your advice. (I'm from Washington state and not in California btw, not like it matters).

I love your litigation driven society.
I doubt that you will go snorting your dive bag, or eat it for lunch. And i really doubt that it would be used so widely if it was that dangerous.

They just put it to cover themselves, people are happy to sue over the stupidest things.
Everybody knows Lead causes serious health problems, we have known so for hundreds of years, yet those warnings are still needed because some chomp with a lawyer will jump the first opportunity to sue them for it.

The perfect example of that would be the RedBull lawsuit several years ago.

The "lead" part is especially strange, as some divers will carry kilograms of lead in the bag...actually, in the quantities we use while diving one can really wonder if this is healthy. For us, but also for the marine environment. Although of course there exist sealed solid blocks. I have to say I still have some "soft" bags, which I think can not be completely sealed for years...

The "lead" part is especially strange, as some divers will carry kilograms of lead in the bag...actually, in the quantities we use while diving one can really wonder if this is healthy. For us, but also for the marine environment. Although of course there exist sealed solid blocks. I have to say I still have some "soft" bags, which I think can not be completely sealed for years...

Solid lead isn't a huge concern unless you handle it on a daily basis and immediately eat something without washing your hands. In water solid lead is only an issue if you are diving in acidic water. Salt water is slightly alkaline. Now the issue is the PH of fresh water as that can range from slightly acidic to slightly alkaline, as the people in Flint found out when their water utility switched from an alkaline source to an acidic one.

If you are concerned about lead contamination just wash your hands after handling lead weights, or weight pouches. But unless you are a pro handling it on a daily basis you probably aren't getting a significant amount of lead contamination to matter.

Your dive bag is far safer than the last string of little Christmas lights I bought, 5 warning labels, contains materials ... state of California ... die die die. You're safe in Washington.

I am not concerned about me. But as said, the number of divers and the number of soft lead packages for some lakes for sure will be noticeable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom