Soft weight can cause cancer??!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a California Proposition 65 warning. Background here. Basically any product sold in California that has any substance on the Prop 65 list of chemicals must display the warning.

To be very safe, it'd be advisable to wash your hands even after handling hard weights as you'll get some lead on your hands even then.

Definitely wash your hands after messing around with your soft weights.

I recommend going a step further. I immerse my hands in salt water for at least an hour to get the lead dust off. :wink:

I do a lot of environmental work in aerospace and the California list can become pretty funny. Such as the following chemicals are also listed:

Alcoholic Beverages - better not have a beer after your dive
Aspirin - if you do have a beer, live through the headache
Carbon Black and Carbon black derivatives - Is your wet suit black? Oh my, your going to get it.
Diesel Exhaust – Does the boat has a diesel engine?

So lets see, you are on a boat with a diesel engine, your wet suit is black, you have lead weights, you might take an aspirin for a headache, and you want a beer for the ride back?

I think you may get my drift by now.

Pete

From what I've seen lately the list of stuff that does not cause cancer in California would be easier to put together. I think there's like 4 or 5 things. Somebody has way too much time on their hands and needs a government job. Probably the cousin of the guy who writes specs for products used by the defense dept. 27 pages for a pair of boxer shorts or some such nonsense. If ya'll would get rid of some of those people who are "looking out for the interests of the public" prices would go down, we'd be less nervous about what we eat, drink, play with, drive, fly in, etc. and the world would be a better place. I'd like to know why some idiots in Washington want to adopt California vehicle standards for the whole country? I don't live there, have visited, seen what and how they drive, and frankly you can keep your regulations and your hybrids and let the rest of us decide what is best for us.

I woould be more concerend with the State of California causing
birth defects, or other reproductive harms."

Lead is perfectly safe to the human reproductive system unless you try to have sex with it. Then it can be painfull and cause bruising.

I just bought 2 2pounds soft weight from my LDS. Brought it home and was trying to insert into my bc then i saw this printed on the soft weight:

"This product contains a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harms."

Should I be concern with this???!! It's a well known brand! I am shock if the above statement is true, yet this product is allowed to be made and sold! Can someone shed some light on this?

Solution to your problem(if there is one), move from California, apparently the stuff is safe any other place...........GEAUX TIGERS..........

To be very safe, it'd be advisable to wash your hands even after handling hard weights as you'll get some lead on your hands even then.

Definitely wash your hands after messing around with your soft weights.

Lead tends to accumulate in your body over time.

If enough lead accumulates in my body over time, Then before to long I wont need to use any weights......

Back
Top Bottom