soda lime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kiwidiver

New
Reaction score
aqualung nz have told us that divesorb is not available in nz and are supplying there own sodalime with a price increase.
we are looking at other alternatives and have found a product called spherasorb used in the medical field,has anyone used this or is it usable and safe.

Yeah, we have the same problem here in Oz. Aqualung are selling soda lime at a stupidly high price.

Please post if you get any good answers. My supply of DiveSorb is running out shortly...

Originally posted by skifanatic
Yeah, we have the same problem here in Oz. Aqualung are selling soda lime at a stupidly high price.

Please post if you get any good answers. My supply of DiveSorb is running out shortly...

Hi:

I am an anesthesiologist and as you may know in anesthesia we use soda lime and barlyme in anesthesia circuits to conserve anesthesia gas and oxygen. We alsop use a semiclose circuit most of the time. I am not rebreather certified yet but I will look into the price of soda lime and perhaps barlyme (can this be used in Rebreathers?) and will post here as soon as I know.

May take a day or 2.

Baralyme was used in rebreathers during the early days of diving. Like during WWII. Price looks about the same as "sofnolime". That would have to be checked against granularity and activity, or duration.

A friend of mine (rebreather instructor) got a tip from a well experienced rebreather diver to try out a product called SodaSorb, used in medical applications. We've been diving on this for 8-10 dives now, and it has performed just as well as DiveSorb.
We're buying it from a medical supply company, so you just might be 100% correct, Gorji.
SodaSorb comes in 5L containers, which are good for 2 full Dolphin scrubbers, and costs about AUD30.

If the sodasorb you are talking about is from GRACE it an acceptable product... Diving grade scrubber should be at least a 4-8 mesh (8-12 is better) and should have no KOH if possible, under 1% is acceptable...
There is a company - Atlantis submarines that operates tourist subs in many parts of the world they import large quantities of scrubber for their use (grace - sodasorb), if you have one near you you might be able to arrange to have them buy scrubber for you...

a 38lb keg generally sells for around $75 us

sofnalime is a product from a company called molecular products in the uk their 4-8 mesh sells for around $100 in quantity and their 8-12 mesh (about 50lb keg) sells for about $150 in quantity

Sorry for being so late but the the cost are no better for what I posted earlier. Medical mark up I guess.

Confirming the above remarks concerning Sodasorb and Sofnolime. The following are Authorized for Navy Use (ANU) by the Sup Diving and Salvage:

WR GRACE, SODASORB 4-8 mesh

MOLECULER PRODUCTS LTD, SOFNOLIME 4-8 MESH, 10-14 MESH
(dist: OC Lugo)

Pesky

I am a diver but I also used to work in the mining industry and spent 6 years on a mine rescue team. We used Draeger BG 174 rebreathers and trained with them weekly. This is a pure O2 CC rebreather for fire and rescue work. We would go through large amounts of soda lime each month and bought it in jugs about 30 or 35 litres in size, 10 to 20 at a time.

My point here is that the BG174 is a common device in the underground mining industry throughout the world so, if there are industrial supply places where you live that service mining clients they may have soda lime (sometimes called cardoxide (sp?) for the BG 174).

Price it, but I think you may find it cheaper than something sold by Aqualung.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom